screwdriver tips, rotating on shaft?

I need a very small screwdriver that I can torque a lot.

Some of the name brands like this

have a different metal tip mounted on the shaft. Isn't this a weak spot, that the tip can start rotating on the shaft?

Wouldn't I be better off with one-piece shaft and tip???

I'd just assume that was true and woudn't even ask, except that there are quality brands that make their screwdrivers that way.

2) These are not small enough for me, but this set seems to have separate tips for philips, but flat ones just end in a different colored material. What is that? Is it the same piece of metal finished differently?
micky

This set has been my go-to for years :

I ditched the clunky plastic case and my wife sewed me a nice little heavy-fabric case. <cordura / ballistic nylon ?>

John T.

Reply to
hubops

Thank you. I like the fact that it says "Bits are hardened to Rc57 approximately..." I don't know what Rc57 is but it sounds pretty hard**.

But this page only gives places in Canada to buy it, and google does no better. And I want to finish this project asap.

Do you have an opinion about my question? When the tip is a different part from the shaft -- but they're firmlly attaached, not like the handle with many tips like your set -- when the tip is a different piece of metal from the shaft, is that a weak spot? Might the tip start rotating on the shaft?? Would I be better off with one-piece shaft and tip??

**I'm sounding like the guy who said, "I know it's a good camera becauase it has one of those F lenses."
Reply to
micky

Just buy a quality screwdriver and it won't fail you.

John T.

Reply to
hubops

How much torque do you think you can apply on the small object before it fails or cams out, anyway?

I seriously doubt the shaft of the screwdriver will be the failure point, whichever you choose...

Reply to
dpb

This is your second post on your loose screws. Can't help with that.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Well, I bent one tonight, and I bent another once before.

And I've had several screwdrivers rotate within the handle, but I've only owned one that had the tip attached to the shaft, and that has not failed yet, but it's too big for this job.

You may be right.

Reply to
micky

That does not compute.

Reply to
trader_4

John T.

Reply to
hubops

One piece of metal, hardened differently. It is not a separate piece of metal in the tip.

Reply to
gfretwell

Wow. I wouldn't have thought one could do that. Good thing I'm not in charge.

Reply to
micky

One of those on your list is bragging about it. The "Snap Offs" IBM contracted had tips that were so hard they broke like ice. There was a clear dividing line at the tip but it was one piece of metal ... maybe 2 welded together but one now. I annealed mine and started over with a dull red, quenched. They wore a little faster but they didn't break.

Reply to
gfretwell

On Sat, 31 Oct 2020 02:10:03 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com posted for all of us to digest...

Yeah, weren't they great? The old Snappy screwdrivers had the black handles that "leaked". One stupid dealer I knew said he wouldn't replace the handles because they weren't warrantied. The guy in the shop that had one reduced his payment and waited the dealer out. It took two weeks. What a putz. They are the same as everyone else now, wear and cam out. I bought a Mac small regular blade pocket screwdriver. The first time I used it I applied maybe 1 in/# max of 2; it twisted like a pretzel. It took 2 months to get it warrantied after I called Mac directly, the dealer reappeared for one day and was never seen again. The greenies you get are better than that Mac. Never went near Mac again. Snappy makes most of their stuff but does re-brands. Stanley makes most of the other vendors crap with the dealer getting some re-brands.

Reply to
Tekkie©