mini-chuck with hex shaft (like screwdriver bits)

I have an magnetic hex socket in the chuck of my drill to use it as as screwdriver, and I need to use a standard round shaft drill bit and a screwdriver bit alternately when drilling clearance holes and then screwing. I want a quick method of changing over from the drill bit to the screwdriver bit. Thus, I need to convert a round shaft drill bit into a hex shaft. How can I do this ? Something like a mini-chuck with a hex shaft input. This must be a common requirement. Any ideas ? Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Search Ebay for this "drill chuck hex". Ironically this answers a post several below on hex drills as well.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

dennis

You can get drills with a hex shaft for precisely this purpose. Mine were Draper brand - I have had them so long I cannot remember where I bought them.

Reply to
Bruce

Toolstation - I'm just about to buy some. Handly for little screw holes in the ceiling using my battery screwdirver rather than lugging the mains drill about :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

But they require more than a magnetic bit holder to use them.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Impossible. I have never bought anything from Toolstation. ;-)

Highly recommended, except that they have a tendency to snap off at the root. At least, one of mine did. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

stuck in the work when you try to pull it out ? Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

A strong magnet in the adaptor. Obviously, if you are using the bit in a screwdriver, you won't have that. But the benefit is slight.

I keep the bit turning until most of the debris has been ejected, then pull it out by hand. Be warned, it can get a bit hot.

Reply to
Bruce

They normally have a collar on the holder you have to pull or push to release the bit. My driver has a collar you have to pull to release the holder. Some cheap drivers do not have a positive lock for the bits.

Reply to
dennis

Hex shaft drill bits - very useful - cost peanuts:

dom

That's what I meant when I said you need more than a magnetic bit holder to use them properly.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

That's what I meant when I said you need more than a magnetic bit holder to use them properly.

MBQ

But you do have reverse, and less chance of drill slippage than with a standard drill and chuck...

On the other hand, wouldn't this type of drill be rather wobbly?

spamlet

A bit, IME, but once the bit has started it's not a problem. And it's great if you have a baby power screwdriver for all those little pilot holes in floorboards, ceilings etc.

Reply to
Tim Watts

B&Q sell sets of them cheaply under their own label.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember sm_jamieson saying something like:

I just bought another cordless - an old model, so dirt cheap.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Is this what you're looking for?

Donwill

No I didn't. Please try to quote properly.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q