Homebase employee: "Your Bosch drill is not a *real* drill.. it is a screwdriver" !?

I bought a Bosch drill a few days ago. (300 Bosch PSR 300 Lithium-Ion Handy Drill Driver Cat No. 7111552 )

I am trying to attach something to plasterboard. I bought some "plasplugs" (designed for heavy duty use). On the instructions it says I need to drill a hole using a 10mm HSS Drill bit.

My new Bosch drill didn't come with that. So I went down to Homebase and found the drill-bit. Luckily they also had my exact model on display.

I called over an employee and explained that my bosch drill appears to only accept drill bits have a hexagonal (or similar) attachment (and pointed to the drill).

The guy says : "that's not a drill, it's a screwdriver".

(I was thinking 'well.. erm.. does it say it is a drill"?!)

I took the drill back to argos & got a full refund.

Anyway, I have the drill bit, and the argos website infront of me. I have no idea which drills will accept my 10mm HSS drill bit - CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!?! I don't want to spend over =A360.

Reply to
james.jobs

Got an image link?

It sounds like the bosh was an impact driver. They are excellent toys and I want one. Not necessarily Bosch but if someone wants to send me theirs I will accept it.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

sure, click :

james.jobs

George

You are right to find the description misleading. Not what is needed as a first drill/driver. So to talk Bosch and talk Argos look at 0072564 as an example of something that will take your 10mm drill.

A 10mm keyless chuck is what you need. Plenty available in the marketplace from as low as £15. Look at Screwfix for a bigger range.

Jim A

Reply to
Jim Alexander

I bought a Bosch drill a few days ago. (300 Bosch PSR 300 Lithium-Ion Handy Drill Driver Cat No. 7111552 )

I am trying to attach something to plasterboard. I bought some "plasplugs" (designed for heavy duty use). On the instructions it says I need to drill a hole using a 10mm HSS Drill bit.

They maybe 'designed for heavy duty use' but are they designed for plasterboard?

mark

Reply to
Mark

Apart from the issue with the drill itself, an HSS drill bit is not the right type to use for drilling plasterboard. Any sort of masonry will very quickly blunt an HSS drill. Plasterboard is so soft it shouldn't hurt but HSS is overkill: you could make a hole in it with a screwdriver.

may like to share with this group just what it is you're trying to fix to the wall: plasterboard isn't easy to make secure fixings to and if something heavy comes away you may not enjoy the aftermath.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Sounds like you have a drill that is (like most) designed to be held in a chuck.

The drill you had was optimised for use as a screwdriver and hence took hex shank screwdriver bits directly.

You can use a hex shank machine as a drill, but you will either need to buy drills with hex shanks. These are available, but far less common than normal ones. Alternatively you can also get a keyless chuck that fits the hex holder on the screwdriver.

(you can also get hex bit holders that are designed to go in the chuck on a drill - these are far more common)

So in summary, if you want a machine to drill and drive, one with a chuck will probably be a little more flexible. If you want one for mainly driving (say as an accompaniment to another drill, what you chose originally would be ideal)

Reply to
John Rumm

I want to thank everyone for all their helpful suggestions.

I went to argos today around 2pm, got a Bosch drill for =A340

I took it home. I drilled 3 holes with a 10mm HSS drill bit

I then returned the item to Argos for a full refund (gotta love argos - the best free hire shop in town) at around 4pm

(I am saving up for a =A3140 drill, which I will buy from Argos)

Reply to
james.jobs

Hi James

I use screw fix I find it a lot cheaper for good quality stuff than Argos

Here is a link to all cordless drills

a link to an 18 volt drill which will take 10mm bits at =A339.99

Hope it helps Tom

Reply to
thomsewe