Can I kill this tree?

I have a rogue tree growing under my deck. I hack the branches off, but each year it comes back bigger.

Is there some way I can kill it, or do I have to tear up my dig and dig it out?

Reply to
Mitch

By the way, I think it's a mulberry tree.

Reply to
Mitch

  1. Crawl under the deck, cut the tree down, paint the stump with full strength (straight out of the bottle) roundup or weed killer.
  2. Quit spitting seeds off your deck.

KC

Reply to
KC

They make tree killers and sell them at walmart.

Go to the garden section and ask for a broad leaf plant poison.

Reply to
ValveJob

Mulberry trees are hard to kill. The only thing that has ever worked for me is to cut it off as close to the ground as possible, then pour salt over the cut surface.

This will work best in the fall.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Thanks guys. I'll have to pull up a few planks to get directly to the trunk, but that's no biggie. I just want to kill...it...dead!

Reply to
Mitch

"Mitch" wrote

While you're down there, wouldn't hurt to cover it with heavy black plastic bags. Poisoning, then suffocating.

nancy

Reply to
Nancy Young

If the leaves are still on it, spray it with Roundup. Takes a few days to see results, but it won't survive and it won't come back because Roundup kills all the way to the root. But if there's anything else under there that you want to save, cover it before spraying with Roundup since that stuff will kill anything. Grass, flowers, weeds, big trees even, if you had enough of the stuff.

Reply to
Bob M.

Read the labels and find one which applies to trees. While Roundup is a great herbicide one which is lsited as a "brush killer" (Bayer make one called just that - brush killer) is needed on something as tenacious as Mulberry. A state forester instructed me that you can indeed paint the stumps with it and, in most cases, it will work. A method which he specifically preferred for cantankerous trees is called, 'slash and fill'. Cut deep gashes around the trunk but do *not* let them connect. This produces a bit of a resevoir which you fill with full-strength brush killer. That's it. The tree pulls the stuff directly into its system and kills roots and all. Will Bob M's method work? Probably will. No slight intended to him. This is just another method for you to investigate.

Reply to
C & E