Tim Hortons fires an employee over one TimBit.

Page 2 of 6
"Chris Friesen" wrote

this debacle in the first place.
On Thu, 8 May 2008 11:31:23 -0400, "Lee Michaels"

good public relations. The morons wouldn't know good public relations if it kicked them in the behind. I'd say she was management material.
<clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada> wrote in message

According to the news, orders from head office have her rehired and working at different Tim Hortons.

All three may have been promoted from her position prior to her having it!
Dave in Houston
"Frank Boettcher"

My point was that one learns the "leadership" necessary to successfully run a specific business by first gaining a thorough knowledge of the specific business. IOW, and contrary to current perception, "leadership" is rarely gained by the act of attending "business school".
I've said this before: I theorize that much of what you see wrong with the current corporate mentality started with a secret project during WWII to train "managers" for the ramping up of manufacturing for military/war effort needs, and has since evolved to the point that conventional wisdom dictates a "business/MBA school" graduate needs to know little else but what is taught therein to run any company he heads insofar as whatever widget it produces.
Besides, ever notice that the rise of the "business/MBA school graduate", as a practiced prerequisite for running a business, coincides nicely with total disregard for the customer, doing whatever is expedient for the "bottom line", and the concept of if it ain't illegal, do it, and morality be damned?
(present company excluded, of course <g>)
IMO, we're now arguably seeing the results of this learned behavior in the rapidly obvious conclusion that we've become a second rate nation with a second rate economy ... just check out tonight's global business section for ample evidence of that.
Me, I just want to buy a hamburger that actually looks like the one on the commercials, or the pictures on the wall! :)
Let the little things slide in the name of the bottom line and before you know it you got boxes specifically stating something's inside that isn't ... and folks defending what's a wrong as a right.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

school doesn't teach improperly, but many corporations rely on the credential so enthusiastically that they fast track their graduates so that they never actually spend the time to learn the business. When the relevant foundation isn't there then they revert to the math because it is easy and comforts them with their decisions. That is a problem that will bring very successful companies to their knees in a flash. I got to live through it.

Of course! I had a fortunate but rare advantage. My MBA came over a period of five years after working from the very bottom over a period of ten years. That early, valuable education eliminated the normal delusions of grandeur that fresh MBA's roll out of school with.

Fat chance my friend!

"Frank Boettcher" wrote

I'm betting the existence of unspoken epic that could be sandwiched between those lines. <g>

ROTFL ...

Hehe .... "fat. Probably a good thing, that chance. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08
"Swingman" wrote:

Recently saw a TV program on PBS describing how the US diet is basically corn based.
Feed lots that fatten cattle using corn produce an obese animal that would probably live little more than a few months past the normal slaughter date, according to the program.
Don't eat much beef anymore, probably just as well.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

A venison and beer diet keeps me from falling into that trap. 'course I don't know exactly when MY slaughter date is, so I can't know whether I've beaten the odds.
Frank Boettcher wrote:

If you're ever in New England try Friendly's. Theirs come pretty close to the picture.
But Tim Hortons isn't the place to go for a burger--they're the Canadian equivalent of Dunkin Donuts. Often partnered with a Wendys though--if you want a burger you to to the Wendys side, if you want a donut you go to the Tim Horton side.

--John
On Thu, 8 May 2008 19:05:54 -0400, "J. Clarke"

So - What's wrong with that?
Despite the fact that Dunkin Donus bombed in Canada, their product it pretty goot.
Tims is what it is - nothing more and nothing less.
Ya waht a donut - go to a donut shop - Ya want a burge ----- don't go to a burger shop????
Doug Brown wrote:

Who said there was anything wrong with it? Someone made a comment about burgers, I replied that you don't get burgers at Tim Hortons (at least not any Tim Hortons that I've ever been in--sandwiches, yes, but not the particular kind of sandwich that is commonly referred to as a "burger"). Then I added additional information that one can get burgers at the Wendys that is often but not always partnered with Tim Hortons.

Ya want a donut, don't go a shop that doesn't have donuts. You want a burger, don't go to a shop that doesn't have burgers.
--John

I second your motions, all of them.
I don't know whether to recommend closing all grad level business schools, or forcing them to re-examine basic morality, as understand in Christian society (and that comes from what is best described as a non-practicing one-time sort of Christian, me).

And that might just work better as "understood" not "understand."
Time to get out of here and go see about raising some money for Toys for Tots.

My dad, a retired accountant, always said that going to business school was like taking a correspondence course in boxing.
"Robatoy" wrote:

Let me see ... the first thing they send you is a 45 RPM single of "Doing The Hokey Pokey", right?
BTW, _NICE_ email address. Descriptive, simple, and bound to get someone's panties in a wad.
Rick

Who argued?

Unfortunately for Tim Hortons it *is* the whole story. Besides.. whatever happened to the benefit of the doubt?
Well, the news article left out the reasons that might have given the store the benefit of the doubt. I don't doubt the store may be of equal blame but with out hearing the whole story the news agency has published a biased article against the company.
If there were other issues, why chose this idiotic one?
Because the whole truth no longer matters if it may down play a sensational head line.
The media only tells what will improve their ratings, never the rest of the story. Does Paul Harvey even broadcast anymore?
--
Mike
Watch for the bounce.