the first power tool

Page 5 of 8

Well, if you're going to cite Wikipedia, how about this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circular_saw#History
Note that it includes no less than 4 prior claims to the invention before Ms Babbitt, including the Portsmouth Dockyard I previously mentioned, and the Miller patent J. Clarke cited.
John
On 8/17/2015 1:30 PM, John McCoy wrote:

Exactly my point, now. There are multiple references to this claim. And the 1600's Dutch wind mills. Pick the one you want to believe. It really does not matter which you believe, history is not going to change and discrepancies can be found with all.
On 08/17/2015 2:21 PM, Leon wrote: ...

That's a far cry from any previous posting claim, sorry.
But if you're going to claim there's something bogus, it needs more than just shouting to refute it...actual research and documentation is the only way to correct the record (which is what reputable historians and even collectors and amateurs at least attempt to do).
On 8/17/2015 2:28 PM, dpb wrote:

Well at least I will admit that there are other claims.

They can't all be true, And for that matter a record can be false and or incorrect. Not saying that this one is but only one of the claims would be correct in being the first to invent. And like you said, research would have to be done but even that would only be as accurate as the available documentation.
And I don't claim to be an expert, historian or amateur historian. It is just that there are multiple claims over the last 400 years and the one with the patent is not the earliest.
On 08/17/2015 2:44 PM, Leon wrote:

Well, the data _can_ all be true (and most of what was posted here was as far as the facts of _what_ and dates; it's the other claims of trying to establish "firstest" that are applied external of actual fact that are suspect. But, of course, when it's pretty clear that the person some are claiming to hold the honor wasn't yet born when it's also pretty clear that there were such already in existence is pretty easy to refute logically. Once it's on the internet, however, it has the property that it "shall live forever in infamy"--it's just the nature of the beastie.
On 8/17/2015 6:42 PM, dpb wrote:

And just for fun, where did the information about the British patent come from? Was it the internet?
@swbelldotnet says...

What, google is broken?

Babbit invented the table saw - or portable circular saw used by wordworkers making furniture. The large circularsaw used in sawmills was "invented " in the late 1700s in europe - and ganged circular saws were in use well before 1800 to cut several boards at once.
On 8/16/2015 9:56 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I would love to see a drawing to back this up. I am closer to believing this but " through the small wheel goes a square bar of iron, that receives the saws, which are a circular figure, does not quite convince me. I know I am being anal about the description, but saws are not blades. And there is not mention of blades that I saw. A drawing would be what I would need to see.
There is a lot of readily available historic documentation that backs up Babbit.
@swbelldotnet says...

So what did these saws saw with, silly putty?
I'm sorry, Leon, but you're not being anal, you're being an idiot and I'm done with you.
<plonk>
On 8/16/2015 10:40 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

Thank you for that, you are of no help at all.
On 08/17/2015 8:22 AM, Leon wrote:

And, I must say, neither are you...
<joins>

On 8/17/2015 9:06 AM, dpb wrote:

Not trying to be a help, just looking for a better explanation of who really invented the circle saw "blade".
I'm sorry if me not seeing this the same way as others is causing anguish and the need to call names. It really does not matter.
Leon wrote:

I think I can resolve this for you guys. My wife bought a parakeet last week. He or she clamps her beak on a (ladder) dowel and twists--with enough affect that it drew my attention. If you listen close, you might be able to hear him chirping in the next room...I may need to get hearing protection to use with my saw... ; )
Bill wrote:

I just heard a big "THUD" a minute ago--I thought What could he have possibly dropped??? Checking around, A large Redtailed Hawk flew into my window--no doubt after my new new circular saw! He flew off after a few minutes, so no harm no foul, I guess. I could see the parakeet on his perch through the window when I was mowing, but it didn't occur to me that anyone/anything else would take an interest.. Put a naked light blue bird in your window and the voyeurs come out...lol!
Bill wrote:

For as unstructured as its day is, it sure likes to go to bed at dusk. Posture/position/attitude are all there (my wife covers the cage). Up with the sun too, at least for our first 6 days so far. My wife is a good intermediary for us; she brought him in to watch Jeopardy with me for a few minutes tonight. It likes its Wooden ladder, and it's a good transport Tool.
Bill wrote:

Maybe I am just jealous that in the first 9 or 10 weeks of its life it has learned to keep "perfect" hours--something I have not done very well for over 50 years now. God works in mysterious ways...
Bill wrote:

Our Budgie jumped and hit his head tonight, and birds have thin bones. He was buried in sight of the area he surveyed through his window, along with his favorite ladder. Although he was only with my wife and I for a short time, he enriched our lives.
Bill
On Thu, 20 Aug 2015 23:28:36 -0400

hold on a second what wood did you choose for the coffin for the budgerigar did you use fasteners or glue

That seems a reasonable statement. I seem to remember reading somewhere that her first version was powered by a treadle from a (yarn) spinning wheel.
I note that, by Electric Comet's original query, that means it was not a power tool by his definition.
John