the first power tool

I don't know but expect at the same time or very shortly after the were adapted to cut to length...folks didn't generally wait around back then for somebody else to come up with a modification; _somebody_ at a mill somewhere did it long before the electric motor and the Skilsaw like portable tool.

Reply to
dpb

Is there something "you" want to share with us? Are you suggesting that you are a man in drag or visa versa?

I was simply pointing out the recognition of a woman's contribution.

Reply to
Leon

There seems to be some confusion here. The woman invented the circular blade design. I'm clueless who invented the circular saw.

Reply to
Leon

Leon wrote in news:i4CdnQ2aA snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Well, I'll admit to being confused how you could have a circular saw without a circular blade...

John

Reply to
John McCoy

dpb wrote in news:mqoc43$skp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I'd agree. Steam powered saw mills I've seen from the 1890's (sample size of 2) have two blades, a large one for ripping, and a smaller one mounted on a swinging arm crosswise to the carriage, to cut boards to length.

The swinging arm allowed the blade to move, which otherwise would be difficult with a belt drive.

I'd guess someone figured that arrangement out very soon after they figured out how to spin the ripping blade.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

In that case you should have used _underlining_ or *bold*.

Reply to
J. Clarke

So if she did not invent the circular saw then what was the purpose of the circular blade design? Were the Shakers playing high-stakes Frisbee or something?

Reply to
J. Clarke

A big pulley on the shaft of the wheel and a small pully on the shaft of the saw, with a flat belt, can run the saw much faster than the wheel with no gears, and higher efficiency.

Reply to
clare

I'm sure the machine to run the blade came a touch later. But for sure there was no circular saw before there was a circular blade. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

The need was for a more efficient and durable design. The dual stroke of the straight blades only cut in one direction. The return stroke was a wasted motion as far as cutting was concerned. The circular blade never has to reverse direction to continue the cycle.

I'm sure you could envision how spinning the circular blade would not be a stretch of the imagination.

No all of this is with the assumption that we both agree that a circular saw spins a circular blade.

Reply to
Leon

Ackshooley, the old two man crosscut saw I used cut on both strokes. The teeth were symmetrical in both directions.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Yeah,,, but were you around in the early 1800's when the circular blade was invented to replace the single stroke in the saw mill? LOL

Reply to
Leon

Are you being deliberately annoying or do you have something wrong with you?

Reply to
J. Clarke

I'm sorry if the answer is still too complicated for you to understand. I tried to explain in the simplest way that I could when you asked what seemed to be a simple question. Perhaps you did not understand the question you asked. It's not really complicated.

Reread your question several times and my answer the same amount of times. That might help.

Reply to
Leon

So just to clarify, you asked, So if she did not invent the circular saw then what was the purpose of the circular blade design?

Consider this. A saw, any saw, a circular saw, will not cut with out a blade. A blade is not a saw. A saw can be a saw with out a blade. So if you were thinking that a circular blade is a circular saw, I can see how you would be confused on the whole issue.

She came up with a better design blade, some one else came up with a way to operate the blade, The machine/tool that operates that circular blade would be called a saw, and or circular saw.

Reply to
Leon

[snip]

I agree, but the OP's question was rather vague and the followup answers wandered all over the place as well.

Just to throw some more sh*t in the game, the first time a human hooked an animal to any device that performed some sort of work on behalf of said human could probably be said to be a power tool driven by other than the user's hand power.

When were the Pyramids built? Inca temples? Surely if a system of ropes and pulley or levers were employed they would be classed as tools. Add one animal to the equation and we're talking power tool in the context of the OP's question

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

This circular argument needs to stop! ;)

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

I'm sorry, but you're babbling incoherently. You've been doing enough of that lately to make me worry for your health. Please get a checkup and be sure to inform the physician that others tell you that you babble incoherently at times.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Well, with apologies to Unquestionably Confused, it seems evident that circular saws existed long before Ms Babbitt. Ergo, since the blade must have existed before the saw by your own admission, Ms Babbitt did not invent either the saw or the blade.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Unquestionably Confused wrote in news:Zt0Ax.52497$ snipped-for-privacy@fx12.iad:

OP specifically excluded tools using animal power (which presumably also includes human power).

There's a bit of a fuzzyness there, tho, if you consider stored power. If an animal compresses a spring, or carries water to an elevated tank, and that is then later used to power a tool is it still animal powered?

John

Reply to
John McCoy