the first power tool

Yep. Perhaps the ox-drawn plow was the first "power tool" by that definition, around 3000 BC.

Reply to
J. Clarke

On 08/16/2015 8:45 AM, Unquestionably Confused wrote: ...

We all know those were done by ET and his cohorts...

Reply to
dpb

I was thinking about the (grain) mill, but you're probably right. The grain likely came before the mill. ;-)

Reply to
krw

I saw that coming.

Reply to
krw

Flashing on "The Windup Girl". If your date is powered by springs wound up by animals, then what?

Reply to
J. Clarke

While power tool can be loosely used for most any thing that puts out power. I would be willing to guess that the term power tool was not used until after electricity was introduced. The electrical companies sell power, power tool.

Reply to
Leon

Wow grade school responses.... I have mentioned this to another here, I'll mention it again to you. You asked a question. I gave you an answer, a stupid simple answer, an answer you should have respond with DOH! Why did I not think of that. Forrest, trees. Instead you show your true colors again. May I suggest yo kill file me so that I don't bother you any more and visa versa? I certainly have never seen any benefit from anything from your comments. And you seem to be in the wrong news group since yo never build anything.

Reply to
Leon

That was my solution, Leon. I think he gets his kicks from being annoying.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I give too much credit to everyone and am reluctant to kill file any one fearing that they just might have something useful to say.

Reply to
Leon

Muskrat love?

Reply to
krw

Your explanation is pretty much spot on acording to the History Channel and Wood Magazine's Bill Krier. "Her idea was adopted by shaker woodworkers"

(fast-forwarded for your convenience)

Spalted Walt

History Of Power Tools - A History Documentary Film

45 minutes

HTH

Reply to
Spalted Walt

Would that be a Saw Stop?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Thanks for telling me.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Which is why I have not killfiled you yet.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Spalted Walt wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Spot on, but wrong. Tabitha Babbitt did not invent the circular saw, and did not invent the circular saw blade. It's a good story, but there's plenty of reference to circular saws long before Babbitt and the Shakers.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

"plenty of reference" and yet you don't provide us with any? Cite proof or it didn't happen ^@^

Reply to
Spalted Walt

British Patent 1152, issued in 1777

Reply to
J. Clarke

Care to provide the details to that patent?

Reply to
Leon

A simple Google search...

British patent, No. 1152.

To SAMUEL MILLER, of Southampton,

Sail maker, &c., &c.

NOW KNOW YE, that, in compliance with the said proviso, I, the said Samuel Miller, do hereby declare that my said invention, of an entirely new machine for the more expeditiously sawing all kinds of wood, stone, and ivory, is described in the manner following (that is to say):?

The machine that gives the power, a horizontal windmill. The shaft of this mill stands vertical, with four levers fixed to it at right angles with the shaft, to which levers are fixed the sails. These sails when in motion are one-half of their time horizontal, the other vertical. The upright shaft being in motion, communicates its power to a horizontal shaft. This shaft hath a large wheel to it, round which goes a rope or chain, which is continued to a smaller; through the small wheel goes a square bar of iron, that receives the saws, which are a circular figure. Those saws being in motion, the matter or substance they are to cut is brought forward as follows:? The horizontal shaft, as mentioned before, hath a small wheel on it, with a groove to receive a rope; the rope is continued to a smaller, that hath a pinion to it, connected to a straight bar under the chariot, which hath teeth to match the pinion; the chariot moves in a groove likewise on a centre; it hath two motions. one to advance forward, and the other sideways, which is performed by a screw annexed to the end of the chariot. This screw is turned by hand to direct the pieces against the saws, agreeable to any line wanted to be cut.

In witness whereof, I, the said Samuel Miller, have hereunto set my hand and seal, this Fifth day of August, One thousand seven hundred and seventy-seven.

[Signed] ?SAMUEL MILLER.? (L.S.)
Reply to
Unquestionably Confused