The Entertainment Nook is Complete. Whew!

Page 1 of 3
I started phase II of the entertainment nook 4 weeks ago and with the help of Swingman we slid the completed console into position this morning.
The console had to be IR and sound transparent so that I could hide all of the electronics. It also had to hide the wiring, provide space for the front sides and center speaker, storage for CD's DVD and BlueRay disks and electronics and fill the 8' wide space. It does all of the above.
The back is completely open for ventilation and ease of accessing the wiring and the top is totally removable and indexed for easy replacement. The removeable top makes running all of the wiring a breeze without having to pull the console out.
Oh and Swingman, I think I'm probably going to do a little tweaking of the cables. ;~)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/10482822316/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/10482827264/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/10483001133/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/10482828156/in/photostream/

Really nice. One question though, are you concerned at all by all the electronics going into the cabinet causing heat? I was and put in a 12v transformer and several quiet fans to dissipate it.

Not at all concerned about the heat. The Amp/tuner is about 20 years old and has been in a less favorable environment for all of those 20 years. It was in a much smaller confined compartment with solid glass doors.
"Leon" wrote:

--------------------------------------------------- Another hash mark in the well done bucket.
Lew

Muchie Garcia Lew! :-)

the

morning.

all

for

BlueRay

the above.

the

of

You've outdone your self!
-Doug
On 10/25/2013 7:28 PM, Doug Winterburn wrote:

Thank you Mike, it was a mixed bag of emotions, I was not really ready to build it as it was to come befor the new TV. :~)
On 10/25/2013 6:31 PM, Leon wrote:

Nice job as always.
--
Jeff

On 10/25/2013 7:37 PM, woodchucker wrote:

Thank you.
Looks fantastic. Great job.
Sonny
On 10/25/2013 7:42 PM, Sonny wrote:

thank you Sonny.
"Leon" wrote ...

Looks good Leon. Elegant and classy. It will be real easy to watch the game on that baby.
Just wondering though, where did you hide the bar in this thing? ;-)
On 10/25/2013 9:40 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

Where were you during the planing stage? LOL Thanks Lee.

Good thing, I had fewer cables in a 32 track recording studio. ;)
--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

On 10/26/2013 1:45 AM, Swingman wrote:

I pulled the top and untangled the cables this morning, piece of cake so to speak. Still lots of cable but no longer a rats nest. LOL

I assume you've investigate various means of taming that rat's nest, but in case you haven't seen it, Lee Valley has this type of wiring control. http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware/page.aspx?pe570&cat=3,43597,50658

Actually I really don't care what the wiring looks like, it is not visible unless I remove the top of the cabinet or open the doors. As long as I can easily add, subtract, or reroute any of the cables I have accomplished what I set out to do.
There was initially a rats nest because I basically did not unplug any cables when placing the electronics in the new cabinet and all of the electronics are now located in a different order.

Strange thing about cables and audio equipment is that often making the cables all nice and neat will introduce RFI and magnetic interference noises and hum that disappears when the cable is laid in a haphazard, rat's nest.
--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

Swingman wrote:

When cables are parallel to one another the RFI, etc will "couple" with one another if the parallel length is long enough.
If the cables are at angles to one another, the "couple" length will be minimum.
IOW, cluttered cable runs represent good engineering practice.
Lew
On 10/26/2013 9:55 PM, Swingman wrote:

I know. ;~)