True entertainment and the Sudbury transitter.

Two stations - True entertainment and True Movies allegedly moved channels on the muxes. One says 'rescan now', and the other simply doesn't work.

After rescanning

Wots up?

Whereas Movies4men HAS moved and is found 'elsewhere'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sudbury transmitter doesn't have the (dubious) benefit of a local TV mux, so those channels will no longer be available

Reply to
Andy Burns

Ah.

Can you explain what a 'Local TV MUX', in fact, is?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

a low power, low bitrate mux, sometimes only beamed in a particular direction from the transmitter, the main contents of the mux being a city-specific TV channel, along with a few other dross channels

Andy Burns

it's the one on which you get the waste of time "local" channel, which was designed to show new content of local significance

but in reality just shows a load of reruns (sometimes with local significance) and a couple of slots for local news

tim

Reply to
tim...

well as TE and TM have just moved there, but QVC and GemsTV remain on a normal MUX, I can't accept that as a genuine description of the content

tim

Reply to
tim...

Subscribe to the NG uk.tech.digital-tv, and find the thread: They've done it again - not updated the EPG

There is a full discussion there. I have the same problem, but from Tacolneston, the big one of the area.

Reply to
Davey

Actually true movies and true entertainment ahd a lot of old movies in them that were quite fun

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That is not the point, its the decision of the powers that be what there is room for if there is no such multiplex to put them on. I expect it all has to do with money as usual. If enough money was there they would soon enough shove up another transmitter for more channels. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

That is a little unkind, but then again, I do often wonder what is the point of a lot of the Freeview channels just shoving out dross most of the time in any case. Maybe the adult ones do have a place, but some of the regurgitating el cheapo crap from around the world channels seem to have no redeeming features whatsoever. Who views them? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Which have been on everywhere else and will be again. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

shuffling channels between COM5/COM6 and LTV is just from one commercial mux to another, who is willing to pay most gets the best coverage, not so much to do with any powers that be ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

As I have said before (at least two dozen times)

one person's dross is another person's gold

who is it who gets to make that call?

Why should I be denied the possibility of watching wall to wall MASH, because someone else thinks that Eastenders isn't shown often enough (or in high enough definition)?

tim

Reply to
tim...

quantity of channels is bandwidth limited (and requires taking into account the need to avoid cross contamination from adjacent Transmitters)

And TV bandwidth is being "stolen" to make more room for Mobile Phones.

Physical infrastructures is not the limiting factor

Improved compression can get more channels into the same (or less) bandwidth, but that requires everyone to buy new receiver boxes, which (simple descriptions) doesn't go down well if you don't give everybody a decade (or so) notice

tim

Reply to
tim...

Sudbury IS the big one if you live in Essex or S Suffolk

tim

Reply to
tim...

The ~37% of people that voted to screw everyone else in a referendum?

Reply to
dennis

Ignoring satellite, and just considering terrestrial, given that HD is a reasonable proxy for DVB-T2, I wonder how many viewers don't already have a "new" TV/STB?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I don't see that a program having been show "elsewhere" is a reason to not show it again

There are a couple of programs on my "want" list that when I ask about them being shown on a rerun channel elicits the response

"ITV showed that when it was still ITV Digital"

so that's all right then. No one needs to show it again because everybody who has DDTV now had ITV Digital 25 years ago, didn't they

Um, no they didn't

tim

Reply to
tim...

I still have two usable boxes and a second TV that can't receive HD

tim

Reply to
tim...

More to the point why does my Freeview box need rescanning every so often when they change things, but my Enigma 2 satellite box just keeps working?

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker