Entertainment center - more progress

Doors are dryfitted and put into entertainment center bookcase for display to friends today. On Flickr:

Han

Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling. -- Margaret Lee Runbeck

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I really like that! Very clever and creative. (you sure you want to vibrate all your components with that subwoofer?)

Reply to
Robatoy

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Thanks,Larry! We like the Scandinavian style (children of the 60's &

70's). My Dad was born in Indonesia (Dutch East Indies then), and we have some old stuff of my Grandmother's.
Reply to
Han

Robatoy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@m10g2000yqd.googlegroups.com:

I have to find a place for that at the other side of the room. Have to convince dear spouse that such is a good idea ... Leaving it up there rather than hiding it keeps it at the back of my mind.

Reply to
Han

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in news:ituipt$tse$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Thanks, Lobby! I got the idea from Fine Wood Working, an article on alternatives to the traditional raised door panel in the August 2010 issue (#211) on pages 48 and following.

I didn't use their method for weaving, and I used iron-on veneer edging (maple and walnut). With the design assistance of Afina, we decided on 3 vertical strips (middle maple, left and right walnut), which I ironed onto a "framelet" of little strips sort of free hand. Then I tightly wove the horizontal strips (4 walnut, rest maple as shown at ), and ironed them onto the framelet, shown in the last photo. I had attached the framelet to a temporary hardboard support.

I am in the process of finishing the doors now, and must remark,that there are 2 slight difficulties:

The first is that the woven veneer edging strips still have a curling tendency (I didn't think a flat support as recommended in FWW would be necessary - the younger grandkids will prove me right or wrong). So I need to stretch them somehow. Either by using a tensioning strip on the back, or by gluing the framelet into the real door frame. (COMMENTS will be appreciated, because I don't know whether this setup has expansion/contraction problems).

The second is that next time I'll likely finish the veneer strips before mounting. Now the wiping of BLO, then shellac and soon poly is a pain because I have to get under the top strip where they cross. I don't know how prefinishing would affect the ironing/gluing of the strips.

Still in progress ...

Reply to
Han