Etertainment center in progress

Some may recall my questions about doors to hide the TV in an entertainment center. A part of the "bookcase" structure is now finished and sits atop an existing oak veneer sideboard (18" deep, 92" wide). Bookcase made of

3/4" maple veneer plywood with solid maple banding. Finished (for now) with 1 coat of BLO, 3 coats of superblonde shellac, and 3 coats of wiped oilbased polyurethane. She who decides didn't want to wait for paste wax final finishing (alas). I am now making the 2 sliding doors (21x42" each) using 3/4x1 1/2" solid maple for the frame and woven maple and walnut veneer after an idea in FWW, with final design by us together. The edging glue-on veneer strips are "glued" onto thin strips functioning as a support frame (maple left over from the banding, thicknessed to fit into the grooves cut with the very nice "Freud 99-760 New Premier Adjustable Rail & Stile Router Bit System"). The doors have to be finished still ...

A preliminary picture is at

(You see, I listen, and this is not on abpw )

Comments welcome.

Reply to
Han

ENtertainment center. Darn keyboard ...

Reply to
Han

Well done, Han. I particularly like the woven wood sliding doors. A real nice touch, and a welcome departure from the ubiquitous standard frame door.

Reply to
Swingman

Are we missing something here or is the blue tape thing the newest fad??? ;~

Reply to
Leon

Very nice! Is that a woven veneer door on the right hand side??? I was just thinking about trying that myself one day.

Reply to
Leon

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Thanks, Karl & Leon!

I'll bite ... The tape was there initially to hold the frame together without any glue, Leon. With the veneer edge tape on the strips fitting rather well in the frame groove, it wasn't really necessary anymore. While the woven veneer looks rather flat in the picture, it is a bit convex in reality, despite efforts to flatten it out while ironing it onto the groove-fitting strips. I'll try a heat gun on the strips for the second door to see whether that flattens them.

I used hot melt glue to temporarily fasten the groove-fitting strips onto hardboard while ironing on the veneer strips.

I'm planning to use the same finishing on the doors, frame and weave, as for the rest: 1 coat of BLO, 3 coats of superblonde shellac, and a few coats of wiped oilbased polyurethane.

Reply to
Han

I thought that maybe the Pisa trip and Festools had left you too poor to buy a Kreg jig and McFeely screws to hold the faceframe together.

Interesting technique.

Why not just wipe on 6 coats of Waterlox and get a better result, Han? It's the bestest, easiest finish I've ever used.

P.S: What's with the bowl of grapefruits on the left there?

-- Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed. -- Storm Jameson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I have had a Kreg jig for a long time. This works better for me. I don't use McFeely's, use Screw Products.

Works better than freehand - don't have enough hands .

Have to use what I have here. I haven't gotten around trying Waterlox yet. Maybe some time soon, though.

You noticed? It's so they're there when we feel like eating them. Did you see the old-fashioned porcelain wok, almost an antique now?

Reply to
Han

Very good!

How do you like SP's product?

I know the feeling. That's why I have all sorts of CLAMPS! One can never have too many clamps.

Do, it's wonderful stuff! The only downside is that it hardens at the drop of a hat. DO use Bloxygen or other inert gas in the can every time you've had it open. I lost most of a quart once because I forgot.

Ayup, I noticed. Odd fruit in the TV room is a glaring anomaly to me. They belong in the kitchen, where you can act on your impulse, Han. Cutting and sectioning grapefruit isn't a couch-compatible procedure. ;)

Sure didn't. I did see the surround sound system, which isn't even hooked up yet. Shameful! (I'm a recovering stereophile.)

-- Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed. -- Storm Jameson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Thanks!!

I like their screws very much.

Too much work for clamps, now they're on a biggish piece of hardboard, easier to move around/turn around for the next strip to iron on.

Shoosh, no couch there just a couple of chairs that are easy to clean, and hardwood floor.

Supposed to be great, but needs line of sight for wireless between the front speakers in the cabinet, and I haven't yet properly prepared the boss for another piece of bookcase at the other side of the room.

Reply to
Han