Table Saw purchase question

Page 1 of 8
hey guys, i am looking to purchase a new table saw.......have a 10 year old craftsman contractor saw and need to upgrade. i will have to put it into my basement with limited space, so looking for decent contractor saw. This Grizzly http://www.grizzly.com/products/Contractor-Style-Saw/G0732 is the saw i am leaning towards purchasing. are there any better options in this price range? tia
On 3/4/2014 10:28 PM, snipped-for-privacy@ourgang.com wrote:

Go for a hybrid. It will at least control dust more easily. And this has more upgrades, fence, weight,
--
Jeff

On 3/4/2014 10:39 PM, woodchucker wrote:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-Hybrid-Table-Saw-with-Riving-Knife-Polar-Bear-Series-/G0715P
--
Jeff

On 3/4/14, 9:39 PM, woodchucker wrote:

That's what I was going to suggest. For only $150 more, it's a heck of a lot more saw. The contractor one in your original link isn't any better than the Ridgid from Home Depot which can be found for under $500.
--

-MIKE-

On Wed, 05 Mar 2014 00:04:55 -0600, -MIKE- wrote:

Beat me to it - and HD has a better warranty.
For something in between the prices, look at:
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/Steel-City-35990CS-10-Cast-Steel-Contractor- Table-Saw-30-T-Square-Fence-/400664027000?_trksid=p2054897.l4275>
The table mounted trunnions alone are worth the price differential.
--
Where have all the flowers gone? Pete Seeger 1919-2014

------------------------------------------------------------------------- In this day and age you owe it to yourself to take a serious look at SawStop products.
There are several on the wrec who have purchased SawStop within the last 5 years who can comment on specifics.
http://tinyurl.com/m56fx57
Have fun
Lew
Update:
This is a better link:
http://tinyurl.com/cz2lu
Lew --------------------------------------------------------- "Lew Hodgett" wrote:

On 3/5/14, 12:09 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

You needed tinyurl for http://www.sawstop.com?
--

-MIKE-

On 3/5/2014 12:09 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Excellent suggestion Lew! ;~) But sawstop.com is a shorter URL. ;~)
No back to the OP.
And in all seriousness this is not an inexpensive saw. Entry level is probably going to cost an additional $1K over what you are currently looking at.
Now something you should be considering. You obviously are serious about this hobby and plan to continue woodworking since this is going to be a replacement saw. Don't ask yourself if you can afford the SawStop, ask yourself if you can afford to loose a finger or the expense of the ER.
There are other fine offerings but so far none have your back should you, when you , make that mistake, have a lapse in judgement, or do something stupid.
The first time the saw saves your butt is when the saw more than pays for it self.
Lew Hodgett wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------- "Leon" wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------- Not really.
1) Do a Google on "saw stop". 9 keystrokes including space 2) Highlight and select sawstop.com using mouse. No keystrokes 3) Highlight "tinyurl" in toolbar using mouse. No keystrokes 4) Place copy of tinyurl in clipboard using mouse. No keystrokes 5) Paste tinyurl in e-mail. No keystrokes
Grand total: 9 keystrokes + 5 mouse commands.
Devil made me do it <G>
Lew

On my Win 7 PC using Chrome, my iPad, iPhone using Safari simply typing SawStop.com and pressing enter I get what I expect, the SawStop web site. You don't?
Leon wrote:

-------------------------------- Yes but that is 11 keystrokes, not 8.
Lew
On 3/5/2014 10:18 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Ok..
On 3/5/2014 10:18 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Ok, and the devil made you do it, ;~) I'm going to point out what I was referring too. ;)
Both your and my URLs get you there in one click.
I was referring to the length of the "tiny URL" vs the length of the URL that gets you directly to SawStop.
Now I will add that I should have added the www. to sawstop.com. ;~)
www.sawstop.com
On 3/5/2014 11:18 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Leave out the .com. Just type in the name sawstop (or anything you want) and hit Ctrl/Enter and it will put the .com in for you.
I've saved enough keystrokes last year to buy a Harbor Freight 20% off coupon.
On 3/6/2014 10:05 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

LOL +1
On Wed, 05 Mar 2014 19:55:51 -0600, Leon wrote:
"allows you to be more of an idiot."
"someone becomes more of an idiot"
Last time I looked "allows" and "becomes" were not synonyms.
And if you don't think that a belief that an activity cannot hurt one allows one to become more careless, I suggest you ask any psychologist.
Yes, the Sawstop is a good saw. Yes, it is the safest saw on the market. No, it is not a revealed truth from Heaven :-).
You call the OP an idiot. Woodchucker calls him a troll. Seems a bit harsh for what to me is a defensible point of view.
That psychologist can also acquaint you with the proclivity of someone who owns a product to get defensive when the product is criticized. The more expensive the product, the more defensive :-).
--
Where have all the flowers gone? Pete Seeger 1919-2014

On 3/5/2014 9:31 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

No Larry, I called him a TROLL because he is. He is an old time guy that likes stirring the pot and calling people names.. He just started mildly, I remember his name from long ago, could have been the binaries, but his name was very familiar.
--
Jeff

You might want to straighten out who said what. I did not call the OP an idiot, Tirome called any one using an idiot proof machine an idiot. So by that same token if you wear any safety gear while woodworking you are an idiot. If you wear seat belts you are an idiot, if you don't over ride safety features on a gas furnace you are an idiot, if you take extra steps to insure your safety your are an idiot. In a nut shell that is what Tirome is saying.

And the psychologist will attest that those that don't like something will also voice a less than favorable opinion, valid or not.
I have no issue with any one criticizing the SawStop, I do take offense when that person deducts that I or any oneelse that uses one is an idiot.
On Wed, 05 Mar 2014 21:19:18 -0600, Leon wrote:

Sorry, Leon. The first sentence of your reply to Tirome was:
"Said by the idiot."
--
Where have all the flowers gone? Pete Seeger 1919-2014