Table Saw purchase question

That's the low end Sawstop. The original is about $4500/

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Snip

No apology necessary. I don't claim to be perfectly clear. ;~)

YES lots of If's in there... Same reason we chose to have health insurance or not, once upon a time.

Yeah but in many cases there are more obvious dangers and we try to guard against them. Nothing has really changed, there are safe guards everywhere and the vast majority are good things on their own merrit despite the fact that the government mandated them and cause all of us to pay way too much.

Well I commend you for admitting to both. You have now presented a valid reason for the way you think about the SS. And yes competition is good for all.

Sorry on the comparison, I was shooting for the best comparison of like build quality, fit, finish, features. etc.... For simply cutting a board there is not bottom limit for what will suffice.

Understood but you never know what the actual price and or concessions will be until after the contract is agreed upon by both parties.

Reply to
Leon

Well, there is that :-).

But now that we've resurrected the Sawstop debate, would the original poster please tell us what he decided to buy. Or did we thoroughly confuse the issue?

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

RE: Subject

As soon as the insurance companies determine that customers who use a SawStop tablesaw have lower injury payouts, this discussion will be moot.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Yeah Buckwheat, Tyrone, Max, Larry J. Which did you decide on. I think you know who may be all four of these guys.

Reply to
Leon

So there it is. You're openly admitting that SawStop type technology has value. That's really all I was looking for you to say.

Question is, would you still consider buying a SawStop type competitor saw if prices for the clone technology were almost the same as SawStop is now?

Table saw manufacturers are in the business to make money. For all your whining about outlandish costs, what makes you think that prices will come down much when the patents expire?

In the end, you're damned if you're going to be forced into anything, even if it's good for you. Obviously, that's the point you've been trying to make all along.

Reply to
none

By making sales of tablesaws. While the consensus is Lamborghini is a fun car to drive to work, most of us can't afford one for an every day driver. Sears still sells a bunch of the $299 saws to people that would rather have a $1500 SawStop.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

My local Woodcraft store says nobody buys anything else. I don't believe them.

Reply to
Bill

That is kind of a jerk knee question. A bit of research would provide those answers.

But,

Delta by a thread. They are but a small fraction in size and in offerings compared to what they offered 5~8 years ago.

Have you actually asked a store that sells SawStop how the SS units sell compared to the other brands?

Reply to
Leon

Well, as usual, when you've got nothing of value to add to the discussion, you spiral down into insulting rhetoric. It must be really difficult to be you. My condolences.

Reply to
none

Exactly and that benefits the user with a better built arbor/trunnion assembly.

That could be true but there is a lot of data that indicates SawStop is a bit ahead. Considering that I was looking at $5k+ saws a year ago I was looking pretty closely at the innards of each brand. PM, The Euro Laguna's, Felder, and Hammer were all in the hunt. General would have been had I been able to easily see one. Steel City may not be around much longer and I was never really impressed with that brand.

That is exactly true. Some people will buy an American or German product but never again after having the opportunity to use or own a Japanese product. It is all in how much value you place in safety, quality, value. etc. Safety is my personal top of the list and is the leading reason that I recently bought the industrial SS over the Laguna TS with the scoring blade.

Reply to
Leon

You may have been taking them a bit too literally. ;~) More believable, my Woodcraft says that SawStop out sells all the other brands combined. Then again Woodcraft is pricey and their prime target customer may be willing to spend more for something that they want.

When I was shopping and ready to pull the trigger on the industrial SS I was looking at the unit in the store shop. Another customer was considering the same industrial SS. Mass is always a good thing on a quality saw, less vibration. I told the guy to lift the right extension table. It would not budge with out considerable effort. He bought the saw. This particular saw weighs just shy of 700lbs with the 52" fence. Ironically the hydraulic lift mobile base that SS sells for the industrial saw moves the saw with a push of the finger. I have to be careful not to leave my saw unattended in the lifted position. My garage has a slight slope towards the street and it will roll out of the garage on it's own.

Reply to
Leon

They eventually moved most of the other saws out of the place. My thinking is that their commissions and markups are much higher on SawStop. They act in a way which is consistent with that. I don't see them doing any other sort of table saw demonstrations on Saturday morning! I don't begrudge them anything, I'm sure it's a tough business to maintain. I could do with out the "selling by fear" sales tactic.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

On Sun, 09 Mar 2014 20:05:02 -0500, Leon

In conjunction with your thumb injury years ago, your woodworking is frequently used for making a living. I suspect your wife's opinion might be an additional factor. All those factors added together would be a great motivator for a SawStop purchase.

Reply to
none

Be sure to nudge it in this direction should that happen. I know it's 24 miles, but I'd hate to see you get hurt on a SawStop trying to push it uphill. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

On Sun, 09 Mar 2014 21:23:53 -0400, Bill

Unfortunately, until SawStop patents expire and competitors get onboard, fear always will be one of the greatest purchaser motivators.

It's usually only for the more discerning, hard core or professional woodworkers, that fit, finish and build quality of the SawStops comes into play.

Reply to
none

It could well be that the fear of a lawsuit for selling something a jury would deem unsafe is at least part of that reason.

Most of the jury pool is sufficiently dumbed down to believe anything a lawyer tells them; and it is unlikely that they have ever operated a table saw, or even seen one, since shop classes were considered too dangerous when they were little yuppies-in-training.

Reply to
Swingman

I've been wondering. We've all heard details of the law suits where they've awarded large money amounts in non-SawStop tablesaw injuries.

Has anybody seen any statistics where awards have been minimal in other similar types of law suits?

In other words, how many similar suits have been a failure because jurors were not sufficiently dumbed down?

Reply to
none

They don't even list Delta on their website, but lots of SawStop.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I had in mind the Unisaws and Powermatics that seem to be still selling. I question the comparability of a Sears $299 table saw.

Reply to
Max