Table Saw

Page 1 of 3
have my dads older craftman 10" table saw it has a good cast iron top and white metal ext wings what would be a good way of cleaning the top,and treating the top i dont want to use anything that will,rub off into the wood after i have seen a couple of products on the net but i want the opinion of real users thanx all howard just as a note i am making new wings from a 1x3 frame and laminate top hope that is ok

Any mildly aggressive solvent (mineral spirits, for example, or WD-40) reinforced by a vigorous application with a scotchbrite pad will do a nice job of removing light-to-moderate surface rust. It won't help with pitting, but pitting shouldn't be an issue.

Johnson's Paste Wax has been the universally recommended solution for CI table tops for years. Other products such as Boe-shield and TopCote have their fans, too.

Don't see why not.
See my website for other things to do with a Craftsman table saw.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

I read your site and here's what I have to say: I'm soooo taking Ginger over Mary Ann.
Jeff

Any reasonably sane man would... (just to clear up where *I* stand on the issue)
jc

Yay! More for me...
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Have you checked current pics of Mary Ann and Ginger? Mary Ann has not aged gracefully!! Greg

Jeez, she is 30 years older and probably did not do a bunch of plastic surgery. Born in 1938? How many 70 year old women are hot? Slather a little makeup on and she doesn't look so bad. Not many people look great in their mug shots, or drivers license for those of us who have not been booked.

Currently Mary Ann is 69
Well while not quite 70, Raquel Welch will be 68 this year and is still quite the eye catcher. Diahann Carroll still looks good, age 72.

Would you be saying that if you were 30? Funny how our perspective changes as we get older.
wrote in message

My 20 year old son could not believe that Raquel Welch was that old. He was thinking late 40's. she is currently on a new TV show, The Captain, IIRC.

It really pays to see him/her live and in the flesh. Television and magazine photo spreads mask lots of aging/ blemishes.
In 1974 I wrangled a track-side photo pass for the Canadian Grand Prix at Mosport. Also in attendance was the Penthouse Pet-of-the-Year. Oh-yesssssssssss. Her photo layout (yes, I no doubt bought that issue) was flawless. And, in person she was just like the photo spread - except for the freckles. 34 years later and I don't think I've seen that many freckles in total on all the freckled people I've seen since. Being 24 they were only a minor distraction. In fact, I don't think they'd be much of a distraction even today! With the photo software available today you can hide lots and lots of wrinkles/blemishes. In fact, if Leon will post a portrait of hisself I think I can make him look 30 years younger with just a couple of keystrokes!
Dave in Houston
On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 09:30:52 -0500, "Dave in Houston"

Not any more! <G>
<http://broadcastengineering.com/news/broadcasting_hd_changing_face/

And, with the inception of high definition TV, it's going to be more difficult to hide natural skin tone variations, blemishes, bumps, etcetera.
wrote in message | > >magazine photo spreads mask lots of aging/ blemishes. | > | > Not any more! <G> | | And, with the inception of high definition TV, it's going to be more | difficult to hide natural skin tone variations, blemishes, bumps, etcetera.
When Roy Underhill was at my club a couple years ago he half jokingly said that high def would kill his show. This because people would be able to see how bad some of the stuff looked that he made in a hurry on The Woodwright's Shop. ;~) I'm pretty sure his latest shows are high def and they are OK with me.... I get the idea!
John
On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 11:21:01 -0400, "John Grossbohlin"

Imagine Bruce Johnson or some of the "remodeling" shows? <G>
wrote: | | | > | >When Roy Underhill was at my club a couple years ago he half jokingly said | >that high def would kill his show. This because people would be able to see | >how bad some of the stuff looked that he made in a hurry on The Woodwright's | >Shop. ;~) I'm pretty sure his latest shows are high def and they are OK | >with me.... I get the idea! | | Imagine Bruce Johnson or some of the "remodeling" shows? <G>
When I went to the luncheon with Norm Abram a few years back he had the Butterfly Table with him... the summer before the show aired. The finish left a lot to be desired and he told the group that he needed to work on his finishing... I appreciated the candor and the issues he described. Later when I saw the show air on TV the table looked just fine... I wonder what high def would have shown up??
John
wrote in message

Right you are. It has suddenly become clear that the makeup stops [somewhere] around the base of the neck.
Dave in Houston
"Dave in Houston" wrote

At some point/age, total frontal nudity becomes the most effective form of birth control.
... obviously why the light switch was invented. ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/8/08

Granted, I avoid those floor-to-ceiling mirrored closet doors while nekkid.
Dave in Houston
Local band here has a song:
"I don't look good nekkid any more".