Fun with angled dovetails

A little while back I posted about doing angled dovetails at the bandsaw. It works!

My main goal was to make a drawer where the front was at an angle, one side of the drawer longer than the other. This will fit a natural edge top that I want to use. In the Leigh angled dovetail guide this is similar to example #3 except instead of both sides flaring out one side goes out and one goes in.

biggest problem I had was with my wheel marking gage, because of the bevel it was impossible to mark the right depth on both sides. I think a traditional marking gage would work fine, but I'll just use the board itself and mark with a pencil next time.

It's done with two wedges, the bottom wedge matches the bevel angle on the boards, the top wedge is the dovetail angle. To cut off the pins the bottom wedge gets turned 90 degrees.

And while you've got the bottom wedge turned that way, you can also do this other type of angled joint:

didn't bother to bevel the edges of the pin board as this was just a quick and dirty proof of concept. Same goes for the fit of both joints, it was all done in a half hour before lunch ;) But still a whole lot better than a first attempt doing it all by hand would have been. This is the same as Leigh example #1, but the tails are with the grain instead of the goofy way it gets done with a router.

I'll post more details if there's interest when I actually have a full understanding of it myself. Cutting one joint is one thing, cutting 4 that all assemble into something is another.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

Looking pretty good. Keep us informed of your progress.

Reply to
ROY!

Ditto! Love to see something that different around here.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Thanks for looking,

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

That's why I'm doing it in the first place. Something to keep me having fun in between the wholesale orders. They already just put in the next order before I even finished the last one. Not that I'm complaining, they're the only ones actually selling anything right now. But a man can only make so many little dovetailed cedar boxes in a row before his head explodes :)

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

Leuf, how is the dovetail project coming along?

Reply to
ROY!