Table Saw

have my dads older craftman 10" table saw it has a good cast iron top and white metal ext wings what would be a good way of cleaning the top,and treating the top i dont want to use anything that will,rub off into the wood after i have seen a couple of products on the net but i want the opinion of real users thanx all howard just as a note i am making new wings from a 1x3 frame and laminate top hope that is ok

Reply to
Howard Kowall

Any mildly aggressive solvent (mineral spirits, for example, or WD-40) reinforced by a vigorous application with a scotchbrite pad will do a nice job of removing light-to-moderate surface rust. It won't help with pitting, but pitting shouldn't be an issue.

Johnson's Paste Wax has been the universally recommended solution for CI table tops for years. Other products such as Boe-shield and TopCote have their fans, too.

Don't see why not.

See my website for other things to do with a Craftsman table saw.

Reply to
LRod

When I didn't see the water that got on my table saw until it was waaaay too late, I got out my "mouse" sander, put it on a scotchbrite pad, put down a little wd-40 and went to town. Cleaned it up very well.

As for protecting the top, I don't use anything other than a wipedown with wd-40 if I don't plan to use the saw for a while. Then, when I do want to use it I wipe it down with alkyhowl or mineral spirits before using it. I will have to say though that our weather out here in my part of Califorlornia is not nearly as humid as some parts of the country. Especially in the summer when our humidity can get as low as the 20-30% range but normally doesn't get much over about 40%. Being in the Sacramento River Delta system you wouldn't think the humidity would be that low, but it is. I'm sure that if I lived where the humidity was higher I would have to take different precautions.

I tried using paste wax but I couldn't really tell much of a difference. It may slick it up for a board or two but after running a couple of boards through the saw that the wax would be on the wood and mostly gone from the saw anyway. It just doesn't seem to be worth the trouble to me.

Wayne

Oh. As for the new wings. If it works it's good. Maybe instead of putting in simple wings you might want to consider putting in a router table.

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

ok great i will try the world famous wd40 and scotch brite and will try the paste wax i do have a router table already which i made and it works great,just need to build a better fence,so the wings i will leave just as wings i did upgrade the fence to a t type fence i looked at the delta fence and all the rest and i found the King KRF-10 to be the best buy and acully built better then the delta any input on the router fence would also be great thanx to all who ansewerd my question so far howard

Reply to
Howard Kowall

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Ginger over Mary Ann.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Any reasonably sane man would... (just to clear up where *I* stand on the issue)

jc

Reply to
joe

Yay! More for me...

Reply to
LRod

Have you checked current pics of Mary Ann and Ginger? Mary Ann has not aged gracefully!! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Ginger would be nothing but high maintenance. I'd choose Mary Ann in a heart beat.

Reply to
Chuck

Jeez, she is 30 years older and probably did not do a bunch of plastic surgery. Born in 1938? How many 70 year old women are hot? Slather a little makeup on and she doesn't look so bad. Not many people look great in their mug shots, or drivers license for those of us who have not been booked.

Reply to
Jim Behning

Here are some samples. I stand by my choice.

LRod

skin is a bit more firm. Plastic surgery is a not fair thing. I saw a famous actress of the same vintage a few years ago walking in to a restaurant. She had a sort of saggy butt but geez at 70 years old there should be lots of saggy things. It is ridiculous to expect that a person who has survived 70 years would look as good as they did when they were 30. I bet there are some pretty nasty looking old woodworkers lurking in this group with their pot bellies, saggy faces and butts. Probably not the men their wives married 20-50 years ago.

Reply to
Jim Behning

um....neither has ginger....she definately has hit the wall....HARD

Reply to
depictureboy

Currently Mary Ann is 69

Well while not quite 70, Raquel Welch will be 68 this year and is still quite the eye catcher. Diahann Carroll still looks good, age 72.

Reply to
Leon

Would you be saying that if you were 30? Funny how our perspective changes as we get older.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

My 20 year old son could not believe that Raquel Welch was that old. He was thinking late 40's. she is currently on a new TV show, The Captain, IIRC.

Reply to
Leon

It really pays to see him/her live and in the flesh. Television and magazine photo spreads mask lots of aging/ blemishes.

In 1974 I wrangled a track-side photo pass for the Canadian Grand Prix at Mosport. Also in attendance was the Penthouse Pet-of-the-Year. Oh-yesssssssssss. Her photo layout (yes, I no doubt bought that issue) was flawless. And, in person she was just like the photo spread - except for the freckles. 34 years later and I don't think I've seen that many freckles in total on all the freckled people I've seen since. Being 24 they were only a minor distraction. In fact, I don't think they'd be much of a distraction even today! With the photo software available today you can hide lots and lots of wrinkles/blemishes. In fact, if Leon will post a portrait of hisself I think I can make him look 30 years younger with just a couple of keystrokes!

Dave in Houston

Reply to
Dave in Houston

Not any more!

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

"Dave in Houston" wrote

At some point/age, total frontal nudity becomes the most effective form of birth control.

... obviously why the light switch was invented. ;)

Reply to
Swingman