Stop burning and burying of local trees and wood - we the people petition

Page 1 of 2
We in this nation waste everything, but one thing that concerns me the most is burning good urban wood in an incinerator to make energy for the moment and calling it green energy or using it as alternative daily cover (ADC) in landfills where it is also classified a green diversion. If you agree please sign my We the People Petition: http://wh.gov/g05
Thank you
On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 11:37:32 -0700 (PDT), natureworks

"So show your support for closing all landfills and shutting down all incinerators in 5 years,"
You're kidding, right?
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Nova wrote:

'Fraid not. But cut him some slack. It not the validity of the mass movement that attracts him, it is the movement itself that gives meaning to his otherwise bland existence.
The Monty Python folks had a skit once showing a meeting of the Committee to Stack Things Atop Other Things ("We have here a correspondence from the Coldstream branch. During the past week, they have managed to stack ELEVEN things on top of other things!" "Hear, hear!").
Wish we could get the environmentalists diverted to such a project. It would serve their personal needs ... as well as ours.
On 9/24/2011 1:42 PM, HeyBub wrote:

Thanx for the tip. I hadn't seen it before, but here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
-kfRREA8M
snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net says...

Somebody want to buy him a ticket to Naples so he can see how that works out?

Must be an alternative vegan diet thing. Let 'em go for it!
-- If you're trying to take a roomful of people by surprise, it's a lot easier to hit your targets if you don't yell going through the door. -- Lois McMaster Bujold
Banning matches and lighters may help your cause.
----------------------- "natureworks" wrote in message
We in this nation waste everything, but one thing that concerns me the most is burning good urban wood in an incinerator to make energy for the moment and calling it green energy or using it as alternative daily cover (ADC) in landfills where it is also classified a green diversion. If you agree please sign my We the People Petition: http://wh.gov/g05
Thank you
Josepi wrote:

I have it on good authority that they are not going to make matches any longer.
--
Gerald Ross

I went on a 30-day diet - and lost 30 days!
The trees were gonna die and rot someday (if left on the ground) anyway, if they were not used as building material. If they rotted (oxidized) naturally the same amount of CO2 would have been emitted. If they were buried so deep that they got no biodigestion, they'd fix carbon and keep CO2 from the atmosphere. If they were used as building material, they essentially fix carbon as above. So, what's the problem?
"We the people" is a bad name for a petition until it is proven that it is overwhelmingly supported by a VAST majority of knowledgeable folks.
I have heard people say that it's okay to kill cows for meat but not deer, because cows are ugly and not free to roam, whereas deer are pretty and free spirits. Go figure. Are you one of them, too?
Pete Stanaitis ----------------

On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 17:03:48 -0500, "Pete S"

Around here, we take our demolition wood, shrubbery, and other green waste to the JoGro facility. They take sludge from the solid waste treatment plant, mix it with ground greens and some ammonia, pile it high, let it cook, and it turns into some really nice non-organic compost. I use it as mulch in the yard, saving organic compost for my garden.
Pass the venison, please!
-- If you're trying to take a roomful of people by surprise, it's a lot easier to hit your targets if you don't yell going through the door. -- Lois McMaster Bujold
On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 11:37:32 -0700 (PDT), natureworks

Wow, _9_ whole signatures on that thing already? <snort>
-- If you're trying to take a roomful of people by surprise, it's a lot easier to hit your targets if you don't yell going through the door. -- Lois McMaster Bujold
They are bio-mass. We just got one up and running.
Since there are fires in the forest around here - and tree farms - Burnt trees are not useful in wood industry or paper. The carbon and the hard resins are the evil parts.
So they are sent to the biomass plant to be ground up.
Also the city cuts trees - they go there not ground fill or compost piles if the piles are ample for the year.
We ourselves have oak that we burn but the sweetgum and pine we won't.
Might use splinters of pine to light a fire but not a log or bolt.
The Bio-mass plant can burn any wood fuel coal fuel and gas fuel. It is a state of the art plant. We are lucky to have the booster close in as the hurricanes blow over thousands of trees a year - those are normally burned in the field - smoke and all. Far better in a biomass as it burns hot and scrubs the exhaust for anything that might escape the recycled exhaust.
Consider the wood in the field - rotting and termites which produce more ozone gas as they digest the trees to nothing.
Martin
On 9/24/2011 8:36 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

If the wood had any more value, it wouldn't be used for firewood.
In

No thanks; I's rather see somethinig to replace petroleum reserces/renewal. Wood is better to burn than oil etc..

Lots full of fast-growing weed trees would be a possibility. Dunno which species would burn well and clean.
Coppice -- saplings arising from tree stumps -- were once a popular, renewable fuel source. Hack them down, and more grow back to take their place.
Twayne wrote:

Um... why?

The energy content of wood is minuscule compared to petroleum products. Burning wood is why there are few forests in Europe. They were all converted to charcoal during the Middle Ages.

They are paying dearly now. I happen to be in Italy right now. Heating oil is the same price as diesel at the pump. I paid $7.64 a gallon yesterday. Typical home temperatures in winter are about 60 degrees.
====== How big is their gallon?
--
Eric

3.875 liters. I converted to US gallons and US dollars. They sell by the liter and price by the Euro. Right now it is Euro1.44 to Eero1.54 depending on location. The Euro today is 1.354, better than it has been for months.
Nice troll!
OK I'm a sucker for a well placed typo...LOL
http://www.google.ca/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENCA273&=&q=gallons+to+litres&oq=gallon&aq=0&aqi=g10&aql=&gs_sm=c&gs_upl 3l2159l0l5364l6l6l0l0l0l0l461l1871l2-3.2.1l6l0
Does the US even have a litre?