Wood burning

Been burning wood since last fall. My chimney is getting all black on the outside. Why is that? Not that much build up on the inside.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

Could be poor draft with the solids in the smoke wafting down. Could be a porous stone with no liner and the creosote leaking through. Need more info or a photo to get a better idea.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Reply to
ransley

It's cinder block with a good liner. Must be the cap. I do notice the smoke wafting down at times. I can stand in the driveway and the smoke blows in my face. When the rains come back after winter I suppose it will all wash down.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

My steel chimney is black at the top and for several inches down. I think this is because there is often no wind at this location, thus smoke is free to shed particulates nearby when it hits colder air, and they are then attracted (electrically) to the nearest surface. Of course you may have a masonry chimney -- you did not say.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

a gohst in the chimney causes that.

ds549

your house burned down while you werent' looking.

Steve Barker

no ransley you dumbass. One would see muddy raccoon footprints if that were the case. You need to beat your self in the head. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba