This is the cheapest mansion (not a large house, but a mansion) I've ever seen for sale ($184,900)

$184,900

Oneonta, NY

Reply to
Chris Tsao

'Historic' often = 'Money Pit'. Obviously has been updated inside, but was it just cosmetic, or have the HVAC and plumbing actually been updated as well? And unless they did a really careful job patching the old walls, doesn't look like much insulation. I notice they do not show the roof or foundation in closeup, either. Could be a hell of a deal, caused merely by the local economy there going south, but I suspect there is a reason the price is so low. While I don't care for the tiny rooms in older houses like that, I do love the interior woodwork a lot of them had, like those stairs, and that striped floor.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

What exactly makes this a mansion as opposed to a large house? Around here, NJ, we'd call it a large house.

Reply to
trader4

Two years ago it might have listed for 1,849,000 the way the photos look, but I dont know the area or comparisons.

Reply to
ransley

Is 16 rooms a mansion or a large house, or it's arbitrary or it depends on how many square feet it is? It's advertised as a mansion, I guess it's not, I will get to the bottom of this later.

Reply to
Chris Tsao

Also in NY, property taxes are extremely high. No clue in listing.

Reply to
Frank

de quoted text -

If the area is anything like my house in nearby Scoharie County, it should not be more than $2,000 for that land.

Reply to
Mikepier

de quoted text -

Property taxes aren't exremely high in all of NY state. The area where this house is located, in rural upstate NY, shouldn't have high taxes. If you want to see high property taxes, come here to NJ. I'm paying $10K on a 3 bedroom/ 2 1/2 bath 3100 sq ft house. I'll bet the taxes on this "mansion" are less than half that, probably more like a third.

Reply to
trader4

Two years ago it might have listed for 1,849,000 the way the photos look, but I dont know the area or comparisons.

Outside looks OK as does some of the downstairs , but I wonder about the upstairs which they show very little of. I wonder if it's because of water damage related to the flat roof. It looks like a granite foundation which probably means a wet basement most of the year.I saw no fireplaces or a chimney for that matter and the kitchen and baths look ancient and I bet the heating system is as well. The interior woodwork and floors aren't even average...I live in midcoast Maine which is an area with ALOT of very beautifull old mansions and homes so maybe I'm spoiled but that shithole would barely pass as average around here and even 2 years ago it wouldn't bring 200 grand away from the water..JMHO...

Reply to
benick

I took my comment from friends that lived in Buffalo. Where I live in DE, property tax is about 1/4 of NJ's and half that of PA whereas local MD is about the same as DE. Can be a huge factor in affording a house.

Reply to
Frank

Sewer Septic System (7 years old, 1000 gal contrete) Water Well (235 feet deep) Hot Water Electric Heat/Cool Type Forced Air Heat, Oil Heating, Pellet Stove Electric 200 Amps, CB, NYSEG Gas Propane (Stove use only)

Reply to
Chris Tsao

so now you are a realtor ransley? You dont know the area or comparisons so obviously you are just flapping your gums because you have nothing better to do. just like the jack of all trades but master of none. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Hire a good home inspecter to go over the home to check for insulation issues, flooring , water piping, such as copper, not lead, where does the water come from, is it well water or city,septic tank, or city sewerage, roof shingles, how old, and most important, electrical wireing, such as nob and tube or new wireing. When u find a home inspector, make sure there is some sort of guarantee that if he said everything is ok and it turns out to be a big ticket item to fix, what is he lible for, and 1 more thing, is it an historic house, subject to the town rules before it will meet with town or city ruleing before u can do anything with the house. My opinion take the pictures u took and put them in a scrap book and look for something that u will not be working, NIGHT & DAY on. Life is to short to devote your entire time to fix, and u will, belive me because i bought 1 of these fixer uppers, and thats all i did for 5 years+. Good luck, henry

Reply to
jp