Burning of the wood

when going across the grain is what I'm experiencing when routing,I've been told to wet the wood but this is not an ideal way to route as the wood will cut like pulp.

Cant be the cutter as I've changed to a new one.

Anyone experience this and what have you done to minimize the burning(scorching) of the wood across the grain?

I do know,too slow the glide of the router across the wood has this effect but dont experience it going with the grain.

Thanks.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Take off less with the final cut and move it faster.

Reply to
dennis

I always do at least three to four passes Dennis.

The cut is only 4" wide Dennis how fast do I need to go over that amount. :-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Some woods just burn like this, but across the grain is always worse.

If your router has a depth turret, plunge the router so you get the profile you want & lock it. Rout away all round.

Now raise the depth stop and insert the corner of a playing card (which is around 0.3mm) as a shim into the gap. Plunge the router this additional

0.3mm and rout again.

Playing vards are useful as shims. Depending on make 52 cards will be between 14 and 17mm thick.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman