Stanley 110

Does anyone know how to close down the mouth of these little jewels? The mouth is rather wide. The plane makes very nice shavings but they are a bit thick! I posted a picture of mine and it's shavings in ABPW. I flattened the sole and sides, scary sharpened the blade. You can see it all on the glass and sandpaper.
-- Alex cravdraa - at - yahoo - dot - comment http://www.e-sword.net/ (free excellent windows bible)
--
Alex
cravdraa - at - yahoo - dot - comment
AAvK wrote:

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan12.htm#num110 there is no adjustment. Joe
On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 11:02:16 -0500, Joe Gorman wrote:

I haven't tried this, but you might try shimming under the blade. Or, just go get a decent plane. (sez the owner of a #220...)
Getting a little silly, but what about Liquid Steel? Make a new mouth...
--
"Keep your ass behind you"
vladimir a t mad scientist com
Australopithecus scobis wrote:

this type of application. IIRC it can be tapped so should hold up to planing. Joe

Guys I was thinking of Jeff Gormans ideas on how to close down the mouth of a metal plane, which I cannot figure out either. I have the current model of Stanley 9-1/2... I just "like" the old basic tools as well so I want to use it. Thanks for helping.
Alex
On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 10:50:28 -0600, Australopithecus scobis

thicker blade? try ron hock.
On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 15:40:14 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@all.costs wrote:

Won't work on a bevel-up plane, like a block.
On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 11:02:16 -0500, the inscrutable Joe Gorman

The adjustment is as follows: Unscrew the lever cap screw. Replace all parts (including it) with a #60-1/2.
Done!
========================================================= I drank WHAT? + http://www.diversify.com --Socrates + Web Application Programming

The Stanley 110 isn't even a particularly good paperweight. And to put in a Hock blade is good money after bad.
Strangely enough, the Stanley 60 1/2 is probably the least used block plane in the tool drawer. The LN 9 1/2, on the other hand...
Patriarch
On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 23:15:27 -0600, the inscrutable Patriarch

Rightio.
Hey, send it up to me. I'll test it against the Stanley and write up a review, then return it to you within the next decade or so.
========================================================= I drank WHAT? + http://www.diversify.com --Socrates + Web Application Programming
spake:

I'd be willing to provide the Stanley for your long term test, next time you're in Vallejo.
The LN brings to mind the concept of prying from cold, dead hands.
Patriarch
On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 22:15:11 -0600, the inscrutable Patriarch

No, the LN. I have the little Stanley and use it nearly every visit to the shop. Just loverly.

Oh, darn. We'll see in July, then. <evil grin>
--
EAT SOYLENT McD!