Some people are really just plain stupid

Page 6 of 8
Leon wrote:

But how fast can you stop it?
A 10" blade (~3' in circumfrence) rotating at 3450 rpm is moving the outer edge at roughly 120 MPH. You ain't gonna stop anything moving that fast in mere milliseconds without ripping something all to shreds and perhaps destroying all life on the planet.

Just think... now you won't have to embarass yourself in front of your friends while beating the living shit out of this dead horse.
http://www.toolcrib.com/blog/2008/11/21/video-sawstop-inventor-puts-his-finger-in-a-sawstop
No big words. Just scroll down a bit to the video.
Robert

Video not available due to a copyright claim.

http://www.toolcrib.com/blog/2008/11/21/video-sawstop-inventor-puts-his-finger-in-a-sawstop
"This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Arent Fox LLP"
Ahh, I found a non-deleted copy - look here:
http://www.finehomebuilding.com/item/8228/sawstop-inventor-walks-the-walk/page
That is an impressive video!
My only concern is that this is very new and works - in theory. It works in limited tests. It works great with hot dogs. Unfortunately, it's difficult and extremely dangerous to conduct extensive testing on something like this. There are bound to be (catastrophic) failures and a lot of (expensive) false triggers. I'm curious to see how well this works after a few years in the real world.

I'm pretty sure the guy that invented the steering wheel air-bag received the same response. You have to do your part to be safe and hope it works when you need it.

"I'm pretty sure the guy that invented the steering wheel air-bag received the same response."
With the exception of "It works great with hot dogs." :^]
GarageWoodworks wrote:

And the air bags have killed people and now we have laws that require us to engage in specific behaviors intented to protect us from the air bags.
Zootal wrote:

Wecome to the real world. It has been around a few years now and has worked. People thought the telephone was a passing fad too.

No it has been around for almost 10 years now. Available to the pulic for 5 or 6 years.

Apparently it works for everyone that has purchased one.

Already done and proven.

There were a few false triggers that I have read about that were caused by a "particular type" electronic watch. IIRC the manufacturer took care of the repair and replacement parts, but that was some years back.

No need to be curious, It is the saw of choice on most wood working DEMO's and I see it more and more on TV and magazine web sites. TOH has been using the contractors version this season. Most class rooms use them now.
On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 18:06:05 -0800, Zootal wrote:

As I mentioned here before, I worked part-time at Woodcraft for 3 years and occasionally still do. We've sold a lot of SawStops. A student inadvertently tested it in one of our classes - only needed a bandaid. Several customers have also "tested" it.
A large local cabinet shop has over 20 of the saws. According to their maintenance supervisor, he installs a new cartridge about every month. Running a saw 8 hours a day gets boring, attention wanders, ...
So I'd contend it has been working quite well for a few years. I know we sold some 3 years ago, but I'm not sure about 4. And the store hasn't been open 5 years.
PS: And for those of you who remember my report about my bloody finger, no I don't have a SawStop - not on a retirees budget. BTW, the finger is almost healed but still tender.

It worked at the local Woodcraft store. They have a classroom (which includes a SawStop) on premises, and the spent cartridge hanging on the wall IS NOT a factory-supplied demo.

31.4" = 2.6'

103 mph

Have you seen the SawStop videos? It *does* rip the brake cartridge "all to shreds"; the angular momentum of the blade provides the force to pull the trunnion down below the table top.
On Jan 8, 2:24am, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

Interesting new technology being developed here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHajjMUrSOg

The blade is saved. The blade stops by use of a "proximity sensor".
On Jan 8, 2:24 am, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:
Interesting new technology being developed here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHajjMUrSOg

The blade is saved. The blade stops by use of a "proximity sensor".
Interesting technology but I can tell you from personal experience that stopping in about 1 second is not nearly fast enought to prevent bad cut.

It uses a "proximity sensor". It's not 1 sec after you touch the blade. It's one second after you "are too close" to the blade.

Which is about a half second after you loose your fingers...

<shakes head and walks away mumbling...>

Proximity means NEAR the blade - like maybe INCHES from it.

If I do something stupid and my hand slips off of my pusher and I jab my hand in the blade, my hand will be servered from the bleeding stump of my arm in about 500ms. 500ms after my hand falls flopping and bleeding on the saw table, the blade stops.
I vote for "saw stop". If I'm going to stick my hand in the blade, I want it to stop NOW, not a second after it thinks I'm too close to the blade.

Seems like 20 minutes ago You thought it was too soon to tell with SawStop.