Some people are really just plain stupid

Page 5 of 8
Steve Turner wrote:

My least favorite...
"Where's it at?"
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Behind the at.

You've also got to get a new blade, too. I'm curious if the SawStop technology would be effective enough if it would fire and just drop the blade totally in to the saw rather than jamming it in to a piece of metal. I realize there's no possibility of a second stage, where if contact is still being made it could then stop the blade.
I'd rather have my fingers.
Puckdropper

Think about that for a sec, if the blade simply fell below the surface and continued to spin,,,, do you think a blade that is spinning against a finger and moving down 1-3 inches would cut you? I think it would be imperative that the blade stop spinning and perhaps not drop below the surface as an alternative.

No, I don't.
Remember that the lower the blade is, the farther the cutting edge is from the front of the saw -- hence as the blade drops, it also moves away from your fingers horizontally as well as vertically.

I don't think I agree. Watch -- carefully -- the slow-motion video at sawstop.com, the one titled "How it Works". Pause it at 0:20 and step forward a frame at a time, watching as the blade contacts a finger. It appears that only one or two teeth actually touch it before the blade begins to drop.
Note also the manufacturer's statement that the blade stops in 5 msec. A 40-tooth blade at 3450 rpm is moving 38.33 teeth per second, or 26 msec per tooth.
On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 16:26:33 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

IIRC, the original sawstop concept just jammed the blade; the mechanism to drop it down was added a little later. I suspect these are redundant mechanisms, each can do the job on its own, but both together achieve the sort of reliability you would need in something that's guaranteed to generate a lawsuit if it doesn't work.
My $.02
Paul F.
On 01/08/2010 12:14 PM, Paul Franklin wrote:

They're not independent mechanisms, the angular momentum of the spinning blade is used to drop it below the surface when it is stopped quickly. That's why it drops so fast.
Chris

It's the good old 'catastrophe in exchange for a catastrophe' method. Like an air bag or an ejection seat. The fun part of the SawStop is that it stores and releases its own energy. It is very, very clever. I had a great time chatting with the rep at the Toronto Woodworking Machinery show a cpl of months back. It's a beautiful saw, really well made. I'd be proud and happy to own a piece of gear like that.

Still have not looked at the video mentioned but IIRC the belts loosen substantially also. IMHO part of the trick to getting the blade to stop quickly is to disconect it from the momenum of the large motor that would also have to be stopped if the belts did not loosen.
wrote:>>Think about that for a sec, if the blade simply fell below the surface

I have not seen the video lately but will take your word for it. Still, I think I would trust a blade that actually stops over one that moves out of the way.

Seems to me that SawStop provides the best of both worlds: it stops the blade, and uses the energy of the rotating blade to drop the trunnion so the blade moves out of the way too.
My next TS will definitely be a SawStop. Just have to figure out how to afford one first...

I looked at one a few weeks ago with the granite top. Never mind affording one, I need a shop I can fit it into. My basement shop is too small.

They come with a granite top now?

I could be wrong, but I thought that was the Steel City saw that had the granite top. I didn't think SawStop had one.

That is what I thought, Steel City and most recently IIRC Ridgid.

I believe my eyes. I saw it on the floor at a local retailer.

Do you recall the model number or which one? Visiting the Saw Stop site no mention is made about a granite top, only cast iron.

I just mentioned this in another post here, IIRC in a video I saw some years back, when the blade drops it is no longer tensioned against the belts. I was always under the impression that the blade dropping was to also to facilitate the direct disconnect from the motor so that it could be stopped more quickly and with less thunder. The blade might just cut through the cartridge completely if it had to stop the motor that quickly also. ;~)
If my saw wears out the SawStop will be my next also.

The only thing I'm waiting on is having a spare three grand that I can't figure out what else to do with. My current TS is only 7 years old. I'll be an old man before it wears out.

Sure, me too. But I will wait for my Powermatic 66 (my very first table saw) to crap out first. No table saw accidents yet, except for a deep cut in my hand on the miter slot edge--ouch! And that accident happened with it unplugged. Since then, I used some 320 grit on that sharp iron table-top edge. Nothing is better than working with safety in an undistracted head--you never know what might happen.