Sofa table

I've finished my glass-topped sofa table, in the style made popular by Karl (Swingman). This is a trial piece, using wood laying around (pine and something that may be fir - some old shelves. I learned a lot, primarily that you need to get things well-measured, then well-sanded and finished before final assembly. Pictures here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/10089776@N04/8057671338/in/photostream and http://www.flickr.com/photos/10089776@N04/8057671049/in/photostream
Final demensions 31x43.5x13.5" H/W/D.
--
Best regards
Han
On Friday, October 5, 2012 4:09:25 PM UTC-5, Han wrote:
Han, your links are private. It tells me I do not have permission to view the photos.
Sonny
On 10/5/2012 4:09 PM, Han wrote:

Oops! You don't have permission to view this photo.
Better edit that to be "Public"

Sorry, guys. It should be fixed now.
--
Best regards
Han
On 10/5/2012 4:56 PM, Han wrote:

Ok, scraps or not, the wood goes well with the floor. It looks great, like it is suppose to look.
So how about a top shot, what's under the glass?

Thanks, Leon!

I need to get some glass cleaner ...
--
Best regards
Han
On 10/5/2012 4:09 PM, Han wrote:

Looking good, Han. A prototype definitely worth keeping, for sure. I like it when that happens. :)
BTW, used your Akeda jig to make three oak drawers (one spare, which I'll use for something else) for my sofa table today ... worked like a charm, AAMOF I was able to cut the tails on one end and pins on the other in one setup, which saved a bunch of time.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On Friday, October 5, 2012 6:57:27 PM UTC-5, Swingman wrote:

Yep, so do I.
Very nice. Sleek, simple, functional. I like those kinds of results, too.
Sonny
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in

Thanks, Sonny!
--
Best regards
Han

Me too!

+1!! But it is your Akeeda jig now ...
--
Best regards
Han
On 10/5/2012 9:22 PM, Han wrote:

LOL. His till something unforeseen goes wrong, then it'll be the jig he got from your. LOL
On 10/5/12 4:09 PM, Han wrote:

Are those eight interior vertical stiles(*?) slightly tapered? I can't tell. If they are, it's beautiful. Even if they aren't, great job on a wonderful piece.
*(What the h3ll are those called, anyway?) :-)
--

-MIKE-

The "spindles" (?) aren't tapered, at least I didn't make them so. They are square, with little square tenons on each end. They are held in place (not glued) by little strips with the appropriate size dados, with the strips fitted into grooves in the rails. The rails are glued into/onto the legs with dominos, so everything is pretty tight. The spindles rattle ever so slightly (it's a test piece). Because the wood species are different and the grains not aligned, it seems safer not to put wood movement stress on those spindles when the humidity is going to change. The table is standing next to hot water radiant heat (may be going on this weekend, they expect cold temps).
--
Best regards
Han

Thanks, Mike!
--
Best regards
Han

Very nice even in the scrap wood. I like the simple lines of the style.

Thanks, Ed!
--
Best regards
Han