Sofa / Hall Table Height?

Looking to tackle something similar to :

's a reasonable overall height for the table? 30-ish inches?

It's actually going into a hall area, so no sense in me measuring our sofas...

Reply to
patrick conroy

FWIW, the two that I've kept of the ones I've made are 29 1/2", and 34" high. The taller one is my favorite thus far.

One is QS white oak and the smaller is walnut ... you may seem them if you wish (poorly because I can never get enough light to use my dinosaur digital in the hall) on my website project pages below.

Reply to
Swingman

I just finished a sofa table last night. I made mine 27" tall based on another design i found on the web somewhere. As i was building it, I keep freaking out that it was too short because the legs just didn't look long enough. Once it all got assemebled, I quickly confirmed that it was absolutely perfect in height. (I alwasy do the same thing when i am building chairs. Chari legs as indivual pieces always look way to small: like you building kids furniture. But once you get it all done, they are just right.

Once something like a sofa table, that you are not going to sit at, I think you have a lot of flexibility on the height. I think you could easily make it 30 Inches and it would still look and work just fine.

Reply to
Joe Wilding

Patrick wrote:>Looking to tackle something similar to :

The height could be whatever you like, but see if you can get the top somewhere other than testicle height! Tom Work at your leisure!

Reply to
Tom

"patrick conroy" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@armada.sprintco.bbn.net:

I did one at 30", another at just over 29". Both are just at the right height to attract the attention of a curious grandson, 16 months old, who loves to play with car keys anyone might leave there.

Play with a cardboard mockup in the space, maybe?

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

I have a Cherry hallway table that I made from Norm Abrams' Shaker Furniture book and it is 30 inches tall (48x16 inch top). My sister-in-law has commissioned a Maple sofa table and I'm using the same basic dimensions. 30 inches seems to be a nice height for both applications.

What is the material used for the inset on the referenced table?

TWS

Reply to
TWS

Patrick, I just noticed that David Marks does sell plans for that piece at

in case you missed it.

TWS

Reply to
TWS

Recall that the general advice for the height of a woodworking bench is the distance from the floor to your palm held horizontally. I leave it as an exercise for the reader to find other things that are at that same height, and, for extra credit, enumerate the number of scarily sharp round-handled objects that occupy the workbench top.

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

I would suggest a sofa table, one designed to go behind a sofa and hold junk the wife buys, needs to be a little shorter that a hall table. I think it depends more on the sofa back height and the junk she plans on displaying. The hall tables are generally taller - 30" -32" high.

Dave

> What's a reasonable overall height for the table? 30-ish inches? >

Reply to
TeamCasa

"patriarch snipped-for-privacy@nospam.comcastDOTnet" height to attract the attention of a curious grandson, 16 months old, who

LOL! My kids are 4, 2 1/2 and 2 1/2. We've already run out of "counter top depth" meaning we can't push things any farther back on the counter top.

Reply to
patrick conroy

Thanks - and thanks for the DJM plans. Yeah - I watch enough of his shows, I owe him $15 for a set of plans. The top is patina'd (sp?) copper. On the show, he cuts a copper sheet, adheres it to a substrate (Baltic Birch, IIRC) and then covers it with a brew to get the patina effect.

That man is amazing...

Reply to
patrick conroy

That is some very good advice. Especially if you are putting the piece in a hallway -- you might find that the piece needs to be adjusted in size for the location.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Good point. My hallway table was actually made for another location and I lucked out that the height was perfect for our hallway and nicely hid the air duct for the heat pump (without obstructing the air flow).

TWS

Reply to
TWS

TWS wrote in news:A780d.2686$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.southeast.rr.com:

And it is always easier to change the cardboard model to suit SWMBO's design whims than to modify something, already completed, in quilted bubinga and patinated copper. ;)

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

I made a version of that table with a few mods but it is actually 36" high(I don't think I changed that) and I'm quite happy with the height. The table I made is for dispaly of various SW Indian pottery pieces I own. Some of these are white and some black so I made the interior panel reversible - one side is veneered with a waterfall bubinga(for lighter colored pieces) and the other is 4 way book matched pommelle maple(for darker pieces).

If i ever replace the digital camera i've lost i'll post a few photos.

Reply to
jev