Slo-Mo Looting

Would you care to tell us where, exactly, in the Constitution this principle is established?

Reply to
J. Clarke

What do you mean next thing you know? I had the fine pleasure of working with our soldiers for 3 years at fort bragg. I was disgusted by the amount of disrespect they face everyday. And whats worse is I saw it go on at a military installation. Granted there was usually a fight within a few minutes lol, but I cant believe I saw it at all.

Thank you to all that have served to protect me, I wish I had, but I didnt, so I did the next best thing. I helped train our soldiers as a civilian contractor

GOD BLESS THE USA

Reply to
Clif

Good for you Clif. All I was able to contribute was and is my undying admiration and gratitude for all of them.

Reply to
Leon

Leon states:

The original statement had zip to do with cops. It was clerks in a WalMart store.

Bullshit. Criminals fear jail time, but they know that a good lawyer means their only jail time will be in the arrest pen.

I do not owe a clerk cooperation or an explanation of anything. Jesus.

When did citizens lose the right to be left alone when they have not done anything?

Neither one of us knows whether the parties jumped were guilty or innocent. But, then, neither did the clerks who did the jumping. They thought they knew. Different thing.

Charlie Self

Clif responds (though God knows to what):

WTF does this have to do with a clerk jumping someone?

Again, nothing whatsoever to do with the subject at hand. Cops/firemen/EMS deserve respect when they do their jobs well. When they don't, they deserve no respect.

Charlie Self

Leon responds:

Fine. Next time you run into a vet, buy him or her a drink. Has nothing at all to do with what you were arguing about.

You're going off the deep end about cops and military and ignoring the fact that the OP was writing about clerks in a frigging WalMart store!

Charlie Self

Is this what they call "compassionate conservatism?" That someone stealing deserves to die? Why not just cut off his hand as they do in less civilized countries?

This isn't an eye for an eye--this is a life for an eye, and that's not right. The guy deserved a trial and conviction within a legal system, not execution by a $8 an hour civilian. When we start allowing vigilante justice we are well down the road to barbarism.

Reply to
Bob Schmall

The 5th, 6th, and 14th Amendments.

cf: Coffin v. United States.

Regards, Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.) tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

I to that pretty often anyway as many of my relatives have served.

No, I am not getting excited or deep, I believe that a person has the right to defend his property and do what ever is necessary within the law to stop a thief. If that means a rent a cop going after a thief, that is what I am paying him for. I was originally pointing out that is too bad that liberal laws give a thief way too much protection and not enough protection to those that he is robbing.

Reply to
Leon

Clerks, cops, or rent a cops. If the thief gets hurt during a crime, too bad for him. We should not have to fear hurting him when he is caught red handed.

Therefore, they do not fear going to jail.

If you are stealing you certainly do and I would gladly prove my innocence if asked to display the inside of my coat if approached in a store that I am visiting. I may never go back but I would respect the store for trying to protect it's assets. It certainly beats making a scene and for sure looking guilty, guilty or not.

True.

So how is the Bird House Book coming?

Reply to
Leon

any law that limits a corporation is good (TM)2004

Reply to
bridger

they have a tough job. but it's one they signed up for. give them cretit for what they do, and hold them to the highest standards. Frankly, I think they're underpaid and the hiring standards are way too lax.

me, I've seen way too much abuse of authority to have any respect for the uniform. cops are people. they want my respect, they need to earn it.

Reply to
bridger

nothing unfortunate about that. those laws came into being for very specific and valid reasons, reasons that remain present.

Reply to
bridger

Well I think that the penalty in this case was harsh also. I also do not believe that the security guards intended to kill the thief. But. he was totally in the wrong and should not have been in this situation to start with. He was totally responsible for what happened. He had no one else to blame but him self. This guy could have easily have pulled a gun and shot at the security guards. IMHO if you are chasing a thief you have to assume that he may try to do you harm to keep from getting caught.

Reply to
Leon

I believe presumed innocent pertains more to something that happens with no witnesses. If you are seen doing something and are caught red handed doing the deed, presumed innocence means squat in my book.

Reply to
Leon

Yes they do sign up, and yes there should be tougher standards

ALL cops have my respect until they do something to lose it. And yes they are highly underpaid, but this is a topic for another forum, I know i have already gone way off woodworking already

Clif

Reply to
Clif

We got off topic of an off topic post, its all good, dont get upset. If you want to deal with that specific, how does a clerk jumping someone have to do with someone being a witness to shoplifting...life is too short to argue this much

Have a great day Charlie

Reply to
Clif

When I was living at the YMCA for a couple of weeks in 1994 there was a graffitti on the elevator door, "RODNEY KING ME!"

Reply to
BUB 209

Is this you? That's what would give the truth to this statement. Are you happy

that you're fulfilling what you signed up for? How would we know? I've seen too many liberals put the strong, straight and narrow strap on others while practicing indulgent behavior themselves.

Reply to
BUB 209

Your book is not the instruction book for this country. For which I am thankful.

Charlie Self