Sliding compound miter saws.

Page 3 of 6

A few spelling errors doesn't for one second negate the fact that he's smart enough to know which tools are worth investigating. Your dismissal of that fact speaks volumes.
On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 21:46:02 -0600, Steve Barker

Then, you are the exact type of person who should try it out. Festool has a great capacity for dust control. That includes routers and sanders which is aside from the capability of their tools.
The Festool Owners Group is full of people who were of the same opinion as you. You should check it out.
On 1/24/2012 10:37 PM, Dave wrote:

i'm not so closed minded as to never explore. Got a link?
--
Steve Barker
On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 23:19:16 -0600, Steve Barker

http://festoolownersgroup.com /
BTW, the group is not just Festool centric. They discuss all brands of tools and other things, minus the politics and the cursing about SawStop.
On 1/24/2012 11:32 PM, Dave wrote:

thanks, got it bookmarked. i'll check it out later.
--
Steve Barker
On 1/24/2012 9:46 PM, Steve Barker wrote:

Well that is the way I felt, then I bought the Domino and Ct22 vac. IMHO the tools that I have bought from Festool make most all brands that I have owned and still own, Bosch, DeWalt, Makita, Porter Cable, and Milwaukee, seem inadequate.
Because of the quality and added usefulness of many of the Festool tools I have added the Rotex Sander, Finish sander, Track Saw, and the C15-3 drill.
The Domino is the priciest of all my tools but I have cut in excess of 4,000 mortices with it in the last 4 years, that has to have paid for the tool by now.
The Rotex sander replaced my old PC right angle ROS and until I used the Rotex I was convinced that nothing in that class removed stock any faster than the old PC and coupled with the vac I have 99.5% dustless sanding, so I am not breathing in dust and tracking dust into the house. With the Rotex sander I no longer use a belt sander any more.
MY Festool Finish sander replaced a PC SpeedBloc sander, I do not see a remarkable improvement in performance but again I don't have dust issues. and the paper lasts twice as long.
The Track saw makes cabinet saw quality cuts and can make final cuts. It is extremely proficient in putting a straight edge on S2S lumber and is the tool to use to make taper cuts.
Since adding the Festool C15-3 drill I have not used my Makita drill/driver or Makita Impact driver. The right angle and eccentric chucks are real problem solvers.
All of these tools save me lots of time and time is ....money.
AND BTY I would be the first to say that brand loyalty is not a good thing when it comes to power tools. I am sure that Festool has a few stinkers but probably far fewer than most brands. ;~)
Have you added any vortex/dust deputy to the Festool vacuum, as I have heard some people have done to reducethe number of times you need to empty the bag?
If so, which one?
--
Best regards
Han
On 1/25/2012 7:46 AM, Han wrote:

Han I have used 6 bags in almost 5 years in my Festool vac. And I have been so busy in the last 18 months that I have probably used 3 bags.
At about $6-$7 per bag I am ok with replacing them and not having to deal with an extra piece in between me and the vacuum.
Unless you are talking about this, and I can probably buy 30 bags for this price. ;~)
http://www.oneida-air.com/inventoryD.asp?item_no=AXD000009&CatId =
I think these systems are interesting but besides saving $20 a year on bags I don't see much advantage, you still have to dispose of the waste and make room for the unit.

Thanks for the testimonial, Leon! Yes, $200 is ridiculous, but you do get a unit that fits onto the vacuum in almost matching colors ...
--
Best regards
Han
On 1/25/2012 8:53 AM, Han wrote:

LOL. YES! there is value in the coordinating color ensemble! Right Swingman? ;~)
I currently have a "hose garage" on top of my CT22. That would be harder to get to when putting away or accessing the hose. Additionally I stack the systainer of the tool that I am using on top of the vac.
FWIW I don't know if you have filled a bag to capacity or not but I am still amazed at how much the bags will hold. I would say the bag will fill to about 97% volume capacity before I see a drop in suction. And then the bag is like a cinder block. Well maybe not that heavy. LOL

As you know I'm an amateur, and not pushing the Festool stuff I have to their limits, far from it. I just know how much of a difference my amateur cyclone (garbage can plus Rockler (?) top made to my DC.
--
Best regards
Han
On 1/25/2012 11:16 AM, Han wrote:

Agreed the cyclones do a good job at separation.
I have a Jet DC with a pleated filter on top that is almost 6 years old. I use it most all the time and have replaced the waste bag countless times. I use a 45 gal contractors bag and toss the whole thing. What I see with using a cyclone is less shop space and the same amount of dust to deal with when something needs to be emptied.
A half full bag weighs about 30~40 lbs and is a little tough to get out of the dust collector because the bag expands wider than the top filter support arms. This is with a normal mix of saw dust. Now imagine that bag being half full with just fine saw dust. How heavy is that going to be? If I bought a cyclone I would probably wonder how I ever got along with out it. LOL

I also have a pleated filter (Wynn, I believe) on the DC. Can't remember changing the lower bag, which is a royal PITA (that I do remember!). Yes you lose shop space, and I wish it wasn't so, but the ease of emptying the metal garbage can compensates more than enough. The bargae can has easy carry handles so I don't have to struggle to keep the dust in the bag out of my nose ...
--
Best regards
Han
On 1/25/2012 8:40 AM, Leon wrote:

Bag!? What bag? You mean you have to change them??
<been that long since I had to change one that I had to read the instructions the other day ... it didn't need changing until I hooked the CT22 to the biscuit jointer and kreg pocket hole jig for two weeks ... wondered where all that dust went to ... even then it was a close call>
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 1/25/2012 9:11 AM, Swingman wrote:

You ever forget to hook the hose up to the tool? The tool and vac just a buzzing away and a cloud of dust is every where. Attaching the hose to the tool is an important step!

One would hope that it didn't take you too long to notice it. <titter>
-- The most powerful factors in the world are clear ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will. -- J. Arthur Thomson
On 1/25/2012 6:57 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

One whole 8' rip with the track saw. I noticed it immediately but of course I was paying more attention to what I was doing than why I was getting a bunch of dust. cough cough.

<g> You and Swingy planted that damned plunge saw idea in my head andI still haven't gotten it out. I'll be going with the Makita SP6000K1, though. Some day, when the money starts flowing again this year...
-- Creativity can solve almost any problem. The creative act, the defeat of habit by originality, overcomes everything. -- George Lois
On 1/25/2012 8:45 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Well if for some reason you are not happy with the Makita, don't blame us. ;~)

I don't think I'll be disappointed at all. I've physically held a Festool 55 and it didn't impress me. (The Bosch 14.4v Impactor did because they had a working model. I bought one that day after viewing the Festool on the way into the home store.) They were outside and wouldn't bring out an extension cord so could make some sawdust with it, but the Makita feels just as smooth and has a couple of additions that Festool doesn't. Plus it costs $392 vs $525.
I also couldn't hear their suckers. I wanted to see what noise a 55 and CT26 would make together, and see how much sawdust was left. Videos just don't cut it.
So, how much better is the CT26 than a 10gal shop vac? How much quieter is it than a quiet shop vac? Why $550 for a bloody vacuum? OK, built-in relay for starting other tool. That's a plus. HEPA is a plus. CFM is waaay down comparatively, but I guess that tool dust extraction doesn't take nearly as much.