Slatwall durable?

Just wondering if slatwall holds up well. Thinking about using it on one wall of the workshop to help organize.
If referring to the standard slatwall you find in retail stores to hold displays/racks, they are not really all that durable
Gladitor Garageworks has a slatwall that is made specifically for use in workshops/garages that is VERY durable, but also VERY EXPENSIVE
John
On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 16:18:39 -0400, WoodMangler

YIKES!!! $70 for a 1' x 8' panel! You weren't kidding. That's about $1600 if I want to cover that entire wall. Gotta keep on searching...
John did say:

WoodMangler wrote:

Have you priced the panels at Home Depot? I think they were 2ft by 4ft. I wasn't looking for them but I did stop and look (about a month ago).
Brad
I haven't seen them at our HD.
Brad Bruce did say:

As far as I know, LOWE's is an official dealer, not HD for the Gladiator stuff. Looked into it last year, and came up with prices close to what you estimated as well, so I DO NOT have it in my shop until I win the lottery
John
On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 12:23:53 -0400, WoodMangler

Global industrial supplies sells slatwall panels with aluminum inserts (like t-track, I guess) that look they would be more durable than standard slat wall.
The price is about double, but not ridiculous.
http://tinyurl.com/3lkgg
The link is to 8x4 size panels, but they have all different sizes.
I imagine the shipping will be a bit steep, however.
HTH,
Paul
Thanks
Paul Franklin did say:

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 16:18:39 -0400, WoodMangler wrote:

After years of dust collecting on crap hanging from peg board and generally stuff out in the open, I bought the cheapest HD melamine kitchen wall cabinets and hung them on the wall above my RAS and extension benches - 16' overall. Stuff stays much neater and cleaner and I can take the leaf blower to the gar^H^H^Hshop without removing half the wall hung items. I used four 30" wide and two 36" wide cabinets. Had to modify the one over the RAS to alllow for height adjustments. I also used two of the heavy duty 2' x 4' metal shelf/bench units for the extension benches. I covered the tops with 3/4" MDF topped with 1/4" tempered hardboard and edge banded with oak. The tempered hardboard is replaceable but has held up well with several liberal coats of LJ's favorite poly :-)
-Doug
--
"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples
then you and I will still each have one apple.

I currently manage a project that has about a half million dollars worth of slatwall in it.
Slatwall comes in many forms.
If it were my shop, I'd put shelf standards up on the studs and run slatwall in between. The standards will handle the heavy stuff and the slatwall will give you the ability to hang lighter stuff in between the standards.
YMMV
Regards, Tom.
If I may offer this suggestion... NO matter what you see in magazines, hanging stuff on hooks is "bad business" that you will live to regret. Everything you hang from a hook will become covered in dust and spider webs or what ever else is floating around in the shop.
Buy plywood on sale at Home Depot and make yourself as many cabinets as you can possibly hang on the walls. Use the "french cleat" method and stick them in every possible space. Your shop will remain much neater and cleaner and you might even be able to find things when you need them.
Just say "No to pegboard"...
I'm starting to lean toward the "narrow version" that is "about" 6" deep and the door is another box "about" 4" deep and hung to box using piano hinges. Put all those "little" pieces away and you will start to love the new space.
Like this:
http://www.newyankee.com/getphoto2.cgi?0313.jpg
WoodMangler wrote:

A house we bought had kitchen face frames and doors on DEEP HD ply in the garage. After 6 moths we had no idea what was stored in the dark recesses of the cabinets. Took the face frames off and reduced the depth to about a foot. Much better. Current garage has cabinets buit in as permanent and wish now they had cleats.
On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 20:20:35 GMT, Pat Barber

If you're in cali, or other places with 'quakes, make sure you have some other way of ensuring that all your cabinets don't come tumbling down when the ground moves. I can easily see the cabinets work out of the cleats in a larger quake, and considering the expense of the tools within (and below them), not worth the potential losses.
This actually also applies to people within a few hundred miles of the missourri bootheel, but with the New Madrid lets loose, you'll probably lose the whole shop, so I wouldn't worry about it as much. :)

Definitely nicer than the deep shelves/cabinets I grew up with, that could hide small children... Amazing how many tools can get lost in them.
-Aaron (in Santa Cruz Mtns, couples miles from San Andreas faultline, in a house well-built to take the quakes, and family near the New Madrid fault)