Re: Pegboard vs Slatwall ?

Folklore wrote:

> Redoing my shop. I currently have a small section of pegboard that I > want to expand. I'm leaning towards sticking with pegboard, but > slatwall as a couple of advantages: > > - Looks better when painted. Besides the pure asthetic value (and > that is a bit important to me) it will reflect more light around the > room (good for my aging eyes). I could also do numerous walls in it > which would allow placing stuff in number of places perm or temp. > > - Stronger. Big plus for locating shelving or other heavy stuff. > > Pegboard seems more versital though (heights ever 1" instead of every > 3") and is certainly less expensive. Wouldn't want to cover much > surface though since it's either dark or looks really bad whe > painted > (unless you do a camo type thing to hide the holes). > > Thoughts? > > I just put up my pegboard again. Bought a new 1/4" 4' X 8' sheet even. > Never had problems -- so did not even think of slatboard. > > Just found this link for pegs... Either style. >
> And this one... >
> Each to his own I guesses! > > willr >
YOU EVER CONSIDER ALUMINUM SLATWALL IF IT OFFERED THE FOLLOWING

LIGHTER THAN STEEL MORE COST EFFECTIVE NUMEROUS FINISHES DURABLE AND CAN HANDLE ALOT OF WEIGHT

JUST CURIOUS..

-- DESIGNBY

Reply to
DESIGNBY

OK

but it's not like you are gonna be toting it around every day. It gets fastened to the wall, and then never touched again.

how? pegboard is *cheap*. aluminium is expensive compared to steel or wood by the sq ft. (for the same effective strength)

not like steel or wood then?

not like steel or wood then?

PS, your caps lock is sticking

Reply to
bigegg

pegboard that I

but

(and

around the

walls in it

temp.

stuff.

Not necessarily.

Think about how shelf brackets hook into the slat wall slot, only being supported by what amounts to a 1/4" of MDF. More than once I've seen that upper "lip" of slat wall rip out, dumping product all over the floor and customers, at a local department store when a shelf was overloaded and the bracket arm acted like a lever applying all that force to the lip.

There are several web sites with load-per-bracket by bracket length out there. I would suggest checking them out to see if slat wall will really do the job for the "heavy stuff" you plan to load on those shelves.

And speaking from experience, the 3" slot spacing can be a royal PITA more often than you'd think.

Len

Reply to
Len