Pegboard vs Slatwall ?

Redoing my shop. I currently have a small section of pegboard that I want to expand. I'm leaning towards sticking with pegboard, but slatwall as a couple of advantages:

- Looks better when painted. Besides the pure asthetic value (and that is a bit important to me) it will reflect more light around the room (good for my aging eyes). I could also do numerous walls in it which would allow placing stuff in number of places perm or temp.

- Stronger. Big plus for locating shelving or other heavy stuff.

Pegboard seems more versital though (heights ever 1" instead of every

3") and is certainly less expensive. Wouldn't want to cover much surface though since it's either dark or looks really bad when painted (unless you do a camo type thing to hide the holes).

Thoughts?

Reply to
Folklore

I absolutely despise pegboard. frickin' hooks falling off, pulling through... I tried the little plastic keeper-thingies and tape.. tore it all down.

Slatwall accessories are quite pricey. Indeed can be painted...even laminated. In fact, some slatwall accepts strips of laminate to slide in and can look worthy of a Dunhill cigar store.

Most of my stuff hangs on magnetic bars or velcro.

Reply to
Robatoy

Tried the "slatwall" approach in the early 60's after receiving a "handout" for shop ideas from the local SEARS store. I built a small wall using plywood. Worked fine until I discovered a serious flaw.

All the airborne dust and dirt accumulates in each and every slat. Cleaning ends up to be a nightmare. Otherwise....excellent.

Reply to
John Eppley

If you don't mind a few unused holes, I would suggest neither. I considered slatwall for the same reasons you did, but finding it at reasonable prices and fixtures seemed to keep chasing it away. My shop has a variety of wall surfaces, a couple of flavors of paneling, sheet rock and pegboard.

The pegboard and one of the panel materials are the same - the peg-board paper/cardboard/woody stuff. Both hold an amazing amount of weight. The other panel has actual recognizable wood in it, and it's darker - and you're right, it makes a difference. It too holds an amazing amount of weight w/o effort.

I spent some time (years ago now) fashioning custom holders for my tools out of scrap bits of wood, sometimes exotic, and brass bits. These in turn were fastened to the walls. Works well, looks good, tools fit. Even my pegboard layout has not changed significantly in 10 years so versatility was not a big issue for me, and those damn hooks do come out all too easily.

Folklore said the following on 12/28/2005 12:40 PM:

Reply to
John Hofstad-Parkhill

I have seen prepainted white pegboard at homecenters. If you want white, it's out there.

Reply to
Stephen M

As opposed to going through the holes in my pegboard and staying there, you mean? At least if I had slatwall, I could blow it out from time to time. Tried to buy it at the time I built the house, couldn't find a local source who would sell "only" a dozen sheets. Ah well.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

IMHO, pegboard SUCKS.

Hooks are always either tearing out or popping out.

Don't have a good alternative, but not pegboard.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

How about painted plywood? Bolt whatever the heck you want to it, anywhere.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I just put up my pegboard again. Bought a new 1/4" 4' X 8' sheet even. Never had problems -- so did not even think of slatboard.

Just found this link for pegs... Either style.

this one...
to his own I guesses!

willr

WillR

SNIP

material most slatwall is made of and is fairly cheap. Got the bit for Christmas and haven't tried it yet. Still checking sources for hangers, etc. Seems to me that you should be able to make various things using T nuts or some such.

Ed

Reply to
cefischer

Dust has been my problem with exposed pegboard. For several years I had pegboard up on the garage wall. When we moved, I got a finished garage, so I put the pegboard inside a cabinet and still use it that way today (over ten years). I still get full use of the pegboard for tool storage, but everything is in my tool cabinet. With the doors closed no dust problem.

I've had real success with a french cleat placed at six feet on the walls all around the garage. I've built cabinets and custom fixtures to hold all my junk. If I had it to do over I'd probably put another cleat at three or four feet. Of course over time I've gotten better at dust control so I've had no problem with dust recently. Seems like the slat wall product is similar to a french cleat only more of them on the walls. I'd say give the slat wall a try.

DGA

Reply to
dgadams

Don't buy them new.

Slat wall accessories are often available for pennies when retail stores close, or from local retail fixture suppliers.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Thanks all!

I found a deal on some fiber slotwall from a store that went out of business. It's going to require a bit of piecing together to cover the two walls in my shop I was thinking about, but I think I've got enough to do a decent job. It's a fake maple finish and actually looks pretty good and should also provide some decent light reflectance.

Reply to
Folklore

For anyone in the Philadelphia area, try Gershel Bros. on State Rd.

They have "paint grade" slatwall at approx. $30 /sheet, melamine at $39.

If you have a truck, you can pick it up and save the shipping.

They also sell the hooks (about 30 cents each).

Reply to
Gus

That's what I use. Never had any of the aformentioned problems with hooks either, but then again, this is just a hobby for me, so I have time on my side.

Reply to
Michael Campbell