Single-Source supplier for Wood/Metal working tools? Your recommendation?

I need to quickly put together an order for about $10K or so of basic woodworking and metalworking machinery and smaller stuff, for a Community Workshop starting at a University.

I know of goodold Harbor Freight, and Grizzly.. from Home in Vermont. But is there another solid but not-too-much-more expensive supplier that you would recommend??

I need a single supplier because of the paperwork jungle (I'm in the Middle East)...

And, if anyone has a list for starting up a small but decent shop, I'd appreciate if you'd send/share it..

I hate these Fire Drills, but I want people (and me) to have some decent tools to use next (school) year. And I just got asked to make a list, which is a lot better than some guys in Purchasing winging it....

Your opinions would be appreciated!

Regards, Terry King ..On the Red Sea at KAUST.edu.sa snipped-for-privacy@terryking.us Newsletter:

Community Information:

terry

Tell us a little about the "Community" that'll be using the workshop. Will it be a hobby shop, or will it also be used as a model shop or maintenance shop for university infrastructure maintenance?

More information will get you better quality answers...

I'll suggest Lee Valley Tools for "smaller stuff" in the woodworking catagory.

Jim Smith at the American Embassy may be able to help with that tangle - it's worth a quick e-mail to set up a phone conversation...

...and if you need a consolidation point in the US, I may be able to help with that.

More info please!

Make haste with due deliberation. :)

Reply to
Morris Dovey

I Googled "terryking.us" and found quite a bit. "About KAUST", meaning King Abdullah University of Science and Technology, in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. I am puzzled as to why the King can't afford a top- notch shop, rather than looking for bargains for machinery.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

The KSA can afford a great deal, but universities everywhere operate on budgets and departments compete (vigorously) for resources. The name of the game is to stretch whatever budget you have just as far as you can.

The expensive part will be growing the trees... :)

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Something to think about: If someone wishes to encourage students, then I think they should provide them with tools that are a pleasure to use.

Reply to
Bill

Mr. Terry has the right idea about stretching his budget, when asking for a source for tools, i.e., help with furnishing the particular program. Like many institutions or programs, it is not uncommon to ask, face to face, some industry or alumni for help, in the form of contributions, discounts, etc. Why not go to the top and ask for help? Request an audience with the King, himself, present a list of needs and ask for his direct help. Just find out what the correct procedure is for having a direct audience with the King. 10K shouldn't be a problem for him.

Better, still, go to each of the Princes, also, and get 10K from each of them. They would be making points with the King for supporting his namesake program. Isn't that how politics work? :-)

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Well, I understand they've set a _date_ to start.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Yeah, well, I'm frond of good puns - but that's just the pits. :-b

Reply to
Morris Dovey

That's just a figment of their imagination. Unless they're talking about stains, then it's a pigment of their imagination.

Reply to
Robatoy

" snipped-for-privacy@terryking.us" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g23g2000yqn.googlegroups.com:

*snip*

Have you looked at the borgs? Their websites carry much more than they do in store, and you can get some decent tools from those places. Home Depot and Lowes are the big ones around here. (Menards doesn't do much selling from their website.)

A place like Amazon or similar would also have a large selection of tools to start building a shop from. Buy the toughest you can get, which might not be the best in each category. Fussy tools have little use in a shared shop.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Well, what do you eggs benedict us to do now?

Reply to
Swingman

You a Cockney now? LOL

Reply to
Robatoy

" snipped-for-privacy@terryking.us" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g23g2000yqn.googlegroups.com:

I'd recommend Enco as a possibility.

Their website is

the title of the page is:

Enco - Guaranteed Lowest Prices on Machinery, Tools and Shop Supplies

They have a great catalog you can request, too.

Also, they are (now) owned by MSC Industrial, which has an absolutely HUGE catalog. Try

luck! And have fun shopping - I always do.

Doug

Reply to
DougVL

Rumor has it that they're considering adding a self-pruning variety.

Shell, that's no pun. it's not even a good yolk.

That aside, to ensure it comes out properly, it is neccessary to use _chrome-plated_ kitchenware when preparing that concotion.

As all good cooks know, it's "Chrome for the Hollandaise".

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Unless they're talking

O U C H !

Reply to
Robatoy

Hello Terry,

Given your location you may want to look at some of the European manufactures. If you buy all from one they may give discounts.

Some of the basic wood working items I can think to get: Dust collector Planer bigger than 12" jointer bigger than 8" joiner (for biscuits) sander (the wider, larger type) belt sander palm sander table saw bigger than 10" Radial Arm Saw band saw bigger than 14" lathe longer than 30" router shaper paint booth good lighting mortiser

Mike > I need to quickly put together an order for about $10K or so of basic

Reply to
Michael Kenefick

Well, you treated me so ungrapefruitly ...

Reply to
Swingman

Orange you ashamed you said that.

Max

Reply to
Max

Yeah, but you left such a waffle toast in my mouth ...

Reply to
Swingman

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 16:19:59 -0500, the infamous Morris Dovey scrawled the following:

I hope nobody palms the fruits of their cash-raising labors.

-- ...in order that a man may be happy, it is necessary that he should not only be capable of his work, but a good judge of his work. -- John Ruskin

Reply to
Larry Jaques