Single-Source supplier for Wood/Metal working tools? Your recommendation?

Page 1 of 2
I need to quickly put together an order for about $10K or so of basic woodworking and metalworking machinery and smaller stuff, for a Community Workshop starting at a University.
I know of goodold Harbor Freight, and Grizzly.. from Home in Vermont. But is there another solid but not-too-much-more expensive supplier that you would recommend??
I need a single supplier because of the paperwork jungle (I'm in the Middle East)...
And, if anyone has a list for starting up a small but decent shop, I'd appreciate if you'd send/share it..
I hate these Fire Drills, but I want people (and me) to have some decent tools to use next (school) year. And I just got asked to make a list, which is a lot better than some guys in Purchasing winging it....
Your opinions would be appreciated!
Regards, Terry King ..On the Red Sea at KAUST.edu.sa snipped-for-privacy@terryking.us Newsletter: http://redseanews.info Community Information: http://kcomm.info
On 4/26/2010 8:47 AM, snipped-for-privacy@terryking.us wrote:

Tell us a little about the "Community" that'll be using the workshop. Will it be a hobby shop, or will it also be used as a model shop or maintenance shop for university infrastructure maintenance?
More information will get you better quality answers...

I'll suggest Lee Valley Tools for "smaller stuff" in the woodworking catagory.

Jim Smith at the American Embassy may be able to help with that tangle - it's worth a quick e-mail to set up a phone conversation...
...and if you need a consolidation point in the US, I may be able to help with that.

More info please!

Make haste with due deliberation. :)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
On 4/26/2010 12:35 PM, Sonny wrote:

The KSA can afford a great deal, but universities everywhere operate on budgets and departments compete (vigorously) for resources. The name of the game is to stretch whatever budget you have just as far as you can.
The expensive part will be growing the trees... :)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Morris Dovey wrote:

Something to think about: If someone wishes to encourage students, then I think they should provide them with tools that are a pleasure to use.

Mr. Terry has the right idea about stretching his budget, when asking for a source for tools, i.e., help with furnishing the particular program. Like many institutions or programs, it is not uncommon to ask, face to face, some industry or alumni for help, in the form of contributions, discounts, etc. Why not go to the top and ask for help? Request an audience with the King, himself, present a list of needs and ask for his direct help. Just find out what the correct procedure is for having a direct audience with the King. 10K shouldn't be a problem for him.
Better, still, go to each of the Princes, also, and get 10K from each of them. They would be making points with the King for supporting his namesake program. Isn't that how politics work? :-)
Sonny

Well, I understand they've set a _date_ to start.
On 4/26/2010 3:54 PM, Robert Bonomi wrote:

Yeah, well, I'm frond of good puns - but that's just the pits. :-b
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

I hope nobody palms the fruits of their cash-raising labors.
-- ...in order that a man may be happy, it is necessary that he should not only be capable of his work, but a good judge of his work. -- John Ruskin
Guys, Guys... Thanks a lot! And not only for the puns, which my Dad who is 97 is still outputting regularly :-)
OK, couple of things:
Yes, the King is rich. One of the things he has done is to start this University totally from scratch, with a $10 Billion endowment.. so a lot has gone into building a large town, every building, desalinization plant so we have water. Etc. Etc. Your oil dollars at work. It is the first school in this country where men and women can study in the same class. For that there is a Fatwa on our heads for "Mingling of the Sexes" Don't get me started. It's a real attempt to move beyond the past.
I'm not at that level. My wife has a job here as Librarian at the KAUST School for kids K-12, children of Professors, staff, Grad students. I'm a 'retired' Engineer, Photographer, I've built stuff like barns and powerboats. There is some budget for Community Groups like Art, Photography, Cycling, um.. Gardening, whatever. I am trying to get some TOOLS together for the Art/Ceramics/Metalworking/ Woodworking group.
And, Thanks very much for some very good suggestions and perspectives. That was what I was hoping for here.
OK: MSC looks good, but their prices are way higher for the same stuff than Grizzly. Why? And I have bought stuff from Enco in the past, metalworking stuff. Their prices are competitive.. I'll look at what they have in Woodworking...
A few follow-ups:
(Mike in Ohio) - Thanks for the list; you reminded me of these which I had forgotten:
sander (the wider, larger type) belt sander palm sander Radial Arm Saw shaper paint booth good lighting mortiser
I am talking them into 'Furniture' as an important capability, which brings in much of this stuff...
AND: "Given your location you may want to look at some of the European manufacturers. "
Good Point: Does anyone have a link to a good supplier in Europe or Great Britain?? Those areas are often suppliers into the Middle East.
I'm also trying to look into 'local' suppliers in the Jeddah area, but I need someone who speaks both Woodwork and Arabic :-)

'good' news is that there are several suppliers of hardwood here, from Malaysia, Philippines, Borneo, Australia. More than most large USA cities. Go figure. In Vermont where I'm from the small local saw mill has very little good Maple. It's all going right into a contract container to go to ... Japan. I'm not too happy with Wood-Fired Politics. (But please, let's stay with Wood and Puns, and skip the Lib-Redneck-Whatever discussion! !) If you're curious about this place, have a look here: http://internationalschoolphotos.com/photoalbum/main.php
The Borgs. Good point. I will look into that. They are big and can ship, I expect. Anyway this stuff will get shipped to Texas, where it will go in a container with other stuff headed to the University. Probably some drill bits too, Large Size, for holes over a mile deep. Sigh..
This is all more than a little strange, but I feel there is a basic sanity to using tools and making things yourself. And many of the Engineering people here actually come from a Making Things at Home background and want to do this stuff.
Thanks to all for your help, and I'll follow up on the ideas today...
Regards, Terry King ..On the Red Sea at KAUST.edu.sa snipped-for-privacy@terryking.us
On 4/27/2010 2:44 AM, TerryKing wrote:

Dumb idea perhaps, but the oil companies do a tremendous business with the Saudis--ever consider trying to tap them for a grant?
Many manufacturers have good educational discounts, the theory being that getting their goods in the hands of students means that later those students will give preference to products with which they are familiar. Might be worth calling around. Also, if there's a lot of lumber available in the area, somebody's buying it and using it, so, visit the lumberyards, find out who's buying it, talk to them, see where they're getting their tools and you may find a local source you didn't know about.
On 4/27/2010 1:44 AM, TerryKing wrote:

I lived near the other coast (Abqaiq - about halfway between Hofuf and Al Khobar) through the 1950's. Change is always difficult, and I've watched Arabia make a thousand-year transition in less than a century. When you stop to think about it, that's a breathtaking accomplishment; and the change is ongoing...

I'll step out of line just enough to assert that your most useful and powerful tool for all of the above will be the ability to communicate in Arabic. It'll open doors to possibilities you might not even guess were there - and it's deceptively easy to learn.
Every language embodies its own unique cultural "circuitry" for problem-solving - and the addition of Arabic /will/ affect what you produce and how you approach _any_ of the arts.
To Mike's list I think I'd add:
Air compressor Spray equipment 1x42" belt sander w/ variety of wood- and metal-working belts grinder and wheels oscillating spindle sander
Some time back I shared drawings and photos with a CNC woodworker on Bahrain who does (IMO) beautiful middle eastern geometric woodworking. If you'd be interested in picking his brain for info about closer wood/tool sources, let me know and I'll dig out contact info and provide an introduction.

As I said before...

I was joking, sort of. It's actually not as weird as you might guess, in spite of the lack of forests. What one doesn't have, one can always trade for...
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
On Apr 26, 4:54pm, snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

That's just a figment of their imagination. Unless they're talking about stains, then it's a pigment of their imagination.
On 4/26/2010 4:26 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Well, what do you eggs benedict us to do now?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

You a Cockney now? LOL

Rumor has it that they're considering adding a self-pruning variety.

Shell, that's no pun. it's not even a good yolk.
That aside, to ensure it comes out properly, it is neccessary to use _chrome-plated_ kitchenware when preparing that concotion.
As all good cooks know, it's "Chrome for the Hollandaise".
On Apr 26, 9:23pm, snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

O U C H !
On 4/26/2010 8:23 PM, Robert Bonomi wrote:

Well, you treated me so ungrapefruitly ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Orange you ashamed you said that.
Max
On 4/26/2010 9:22 PM, Max wrote:

Yeah, but you left such a waffle toast in my mouth ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010