Duct Source Recommendation

I've read ad nauseum hundreds of messages in the last few days about ducting for dust collection. I've decided on 5" metal pipe, but wondering about the best source for the best price.

I'm got on order the DC1100 jet, 1.5HP, 1100cfm. Can galvanized HVAC duct be used on a DC unit of this site, the type I can get at Home Depot and the like, or will it collapse? Do they make 5"?

Thx.

Reply to
Larry Bud

This supplier

recommended by this site
-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

HVAC pipe, AKA snap-lock, AKA KD pipe, AKA galvanized stove-pipe is what I used. It works fine.

If you're in the S.F. Bay Area, you can buy it where I bought it, Acosta Sheet Metal. If they don't have 5 inch pipe and fittings they'll make them for you.

They have a web site:

I would expect that any big city would have a similar place.

I bought some 6 inch spiral pipe there last week for about $2 per foot.

The BORG fittings are strong enough; all of the bends make them plenty stiff. My BORG only carries 28 gage pipe. Acosta generally uses 26 gage for any of the sizes we'd likely be using (though they can make 28 gage if that's what you want :-) 28 gage is adequate but borderline.

The other thing is that HVAC fittings have sharper radius turns than genuine dust collector fittings. See the long radius ells under "commercial HVAC" on the Acosta web site. If you use BORG fittings, you should use 2 45 degree ells instead of a single 90 degree ell

Bob S

Reply to
Bob Summers