Increase inlet on DC?

My DC has a 5" dia inlet opening to the impeller. If I go with 6" main pipe for my small shop DC system, should I open up the inlet on the DC to 6".? Or should I make the mains 5" dia? thanks for any tips

Reply to
trs80

6" pipe will flow more air, but that 5" restriction will still be the main limit to your flow. You may end up with probelms of dust settling in the slower moving air in the 6" pipe rather than carrying thru the 5" into the collector. If it were me, I would go with 5 " pipe. Brad
Reply to
Brad

Why would dust settling in the 6" pipe matter? A dusty 6" pipe will have less resistance than a clean 5".

Reply to
Toller

Big chips will also loft the dust if they travel the same path.

I've got 6" 26 ga. HVAC pipe all the way to each machine and directly into my DC1200, using Lee Valley 6" gates. It's exponentially better than my old 4" plumbing.

On my Jet DC, removing the 2x4" plug uncovered a 6" outlet. I don't think a 6->5 right at the machine would be a deal killer.

Reply to
B A R R Y

I bet you would be fine either way. 5" inlet or 6" inlet. To me it seems like a 6" to 5" reducer would be a lot less work. I would do the 6" pipe so some day when you are rich you can install that 10hp cyclone collector and not have to replace the pipe.

Reply to
Oughtsix

I installed 4" pvc sewer and drain pipe and the DC system works wonderfully to all stations.

Reply to
trs80

Reply to
K & D Rossi

And the horseshit starts again.

Reply to
CW

Dear K & D Rossi ... save yourself a public flogging ... use Google to research the archives of this group regarding this topic. We have this discussion every few months and it always ends the same way ... the proponent of the 'big bang theory' gets mauled.

Bill

Reply to
Bill in Detroit

Reply to