signing your work

Page 2 of 2
: Do any of you sign your work? If so, what do you put on it & how do you do : it. Anyone have any luck with the wood-burning stamps?
: -- : Steve & Lauri Bliss : San Antonio, Texas
I take a small V shaped chisel and carve in a backstaff, my first initial and last name, and the last two numbers of the year.
--

--- Gregg
"Improvise, adapt, overcome."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
So you create a year 2100 problem for the users of your works?
: [...]
:> I take a small V shaped chisel and carve in a backstaff, my first :> initial and last name, and the last two numbers of the year. : ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
: So you create a year 2100 problem for the users of your works?
No. No more so than '01 or '02 problems.
--- Gregg "Improvise, adapt, overcome." snipped-for-privacy@head-cfa.harvard.edu Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics Phone: (617) 496-1558
: Mon, Dec 15, 2003, 3:34pm (EST+1) snipped-for-privacy@elway.cfa.harvard.edu : (Gregg?Germain) says: : ????No. No more so than '01 or '02 problems.
: Oh, I dunno. How's someone in 2100 gonna know if it was made in : 2001, or 1901? You wouldn't want to get sued, for misrepresenting your : work, down the line.
Not all that concerned about getting sued.
Any reasonably knowledgeable person would know that the fine state of the finishes and condition of the wood precludes 1901.
Plus the photos of much of the work on my web page would be a fairly decent tip off...web pages not being around in 1901.
It's not something I'm really seriously concerned with.
--- Gregg "Improvise, adapt, overcome." snipped-for-privacy@head-cfa.harvard.edu Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics Phone: (617) 496-1558
On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 20:20:04 +0100, Juergen Hannappel
By 2100, Google will be offering their on-line dendochronology search.
If you are really interested in this, check out:
http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product_group.cfm?&catidq&objectgroup_id 7&segment_id=4
Rockler has a number of custom branding irons (with your name) sets. They also have a punch-stamping set:
http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product_details.cfm?&catidq&objectgroup_id 7&offerings_id601

do

I use wood burning iron that contains its own heat element. It works fine and I think it cost less than $100.00.
Regards, Tom Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania 19428 http://users.snip.net/~tjwatson
On 15 Dec 2003, Tom Watson spake unto rec.woodworking:

    Do you wear breathing protection when using the woodburning iron? I mean, isn't there a danger of smoke inhalation? I would think that the risk of a spark would be there as well... I trust you sign your work well away from your DC system.
    Wishing you an exceptionally safe holiday season,
Scott
On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 21:40:42 GMT, Scott Cramer

(tom wonders what the onomatopoeiac is for a lung scorching soul toke on a zigzagged bone that came from a poorly cleaned lid of seed encrusted home grown circa nineteen seventy five and decides it must be - "fffffffffffffffffff" - although this does not give you the flavor of the added acoustic pyrotechnics provided by the occasional exploding seed)
Nah, gringo. (ffffffffffffffff) When I was searchin for the "Santa Claus and His Old Lady Commune" back in the day (ffffffffffffff) I did so much smoke inhalation (fffffffffffffff) that I reached life time toxicity levels (ffffffffffffff) so it's all free - now (fffffffffffff - pop!)
Regards, Tom Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania 19428 http://users.snip.net/~tjwatson
On 15 Dec 2003, Tom Watson spake unto rec.woodworking:

Good sh*t, man. I miss those days too. I think.
Too bad we can't say "Dave's not here," and mean it, too.
Speaking of which, how's that remake of 'Excitable Boy' coming along?
Scott Cramer wrote:

You had me going for a second, then I read who the author was.
Steven Bliss wrote:

My initials and the date, in pencil, somewhere not easily seen. If I don't forget. ;-)
It's nice to see my skills improving over time. My daughter helped me build a drawer for my computer table before the ww bug bit me. I think I had an electric drill, but that was it for power tools. 1996 or so. The drawer was 4 butt joints held together with screws. I can see now the handsaw cuts weren't close to perfect in any of the three dimensions. And the hardboard bottom was just screwed to the bottom.
The drawer isn't on my computer desk anymore. I got tired of banging my knee on it. But it's hanging on the wall, the container for all my shop vac nozzles & connectors. It still works, and it reminds me of how far I've come in ww skills, AND how my now 16 year old daughter has helped me a lot over the years. <g> The only time two sawdust-creating tools have been used at the same time in my shop was 11-29-03, when I used the bandsaw and she the scrollsaw. (See "Yesterday's Fun" of 11-30-03.)
Yeah, I try to sign & date everything. My dado joints stopped sucking when the DeWalt 621 replaced the 1/4" Craftsman in the router table. ;-)
-- Mark
Some stuff I sign with a sharpie in a out of the way place. I also make small name tags of brass and attach them to special pieces.
I use a small piece of brass and polish one side and cover the other side with some duct tape. I then sign it with a sharpie making sure the ink goes on evenly. I then dump it into some PC board etchant (you can get a bottle at Radio Shack) for several minutes.
The etchant will eat away whatever isn't inked. You end up with a nice engraved name plate that can be attached to a project.

Jim K wrote:

No, Jim, you end up with a nice *etched* name plate. :)
This works great for dog ID tags too, incidentally. Engraving doesn't go deep enough to hold up well over time, so I etch the phone number in sharp relief.

I use a Universal 25-watt CO2 laser to burn in the name, date, and other pertinant information. If you don't have one, just check with your neighbor. It's a common household appliance. Borrow his. ;-)
It will also do half-tone pictures. I put them inside the drawers of spice racks to keep out (scare) all the bugs. ;-)
Or - a bit more seriously, you could have a bunch of them made up in 1/16 or 2/32 maple, with a standard diameter of the size of a forstner bit of your choice, ghen glue it in each time. Works for me. Where? Well, a lot of trophy engravers and sign makers have them, and they'd do you up a quantity real cheap.
I'm lucky, I just happen to have a laser cutter for my urn and casket business.
Tony