What do you put on your cabnet shelves

I'm looking for something to put on the shelves of my kitchen cabnets. I dislike contact paper. I was thinking of using some kind of floor tile - it would be easy to clean, the glue wouldn't get all nasty after a few years and it would be lighter then the wood. I've also considered putting down some polyurethane. I would have to have "tackey" pointed out to me. So I was wondering what other people used. ( Newspaper is out of the question also.)

BM

Reply to
Brett Miller

We've recently put down some kind of rubberized (maybe not really rubber, but that kind of feel) fabric similar to what is sold to put under mats to stop them slipping around.

It's too soon yet to know how long the stuff will last.

Perce

On 04/18/05 05:29 pm Brett Miller tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

I recently redid my kitchen floor with 'loose lay' vinyl, which does not require glue, and lays perfectly flat. There was enough 'scrap' left over to line all my drawers and cabinets. Color coordinated to boot!

Reply to
PhotoMan

On 04/18/05 05:43 pm Dr. Hardcrab tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Ours is a cream-like color. Looks fine in our cabinets with our china.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Back when I did commercial refrigeration, a couple of the grocery stores got rools of that stuff.(Sort of a green, rubberized "mesh").

They would always put down a new layer off it in their vegetable cases after they cleaned them out.

I've seen it in orange and red also, which, depending on one's tastes, may not go well with your fine china....

;-]

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

Just so you're not disappointed, Joe, I got it. :-) Joe Arnold

Reply to
PhotoMan

That's where I put my dishes, pots, pans, caned goods etc.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I know many people who use the non-skid mats, as previously mentioned. It's available in big sizes [for area rugs] and can be cut to fit.

I realize this is sort of like newspaper, but my mother always uses white butcher paper.

Reply to
Hopkins

I thiought of writing that too, but I figured most would not get it (great minds think alike....;-])

But seriously: I don't put anything on my. Been that way for 20 years.....

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

Best thing I have used is paint. Nice, alkyd semigloss. Anything laid down as a cover eventually has to be cleaned, and costs money. Just refaced our cabinets and put in new doors and drawers. Only "covering" they had inside was worn paint, which was about 40 years old. Solid wood. Cleaned them well, primed and painted. Let them cure for about a week with fans going (I'm a perfectionist). Good 'til we are long gone :o) No sticking, minor leak does not hurt it, wipe out easily.

Paper and plastic stuff allow crumbs and spills to collect underneath, which invites bugs. This is Florida.

Reply to
Norminn

-> I'm looking for something to put on the shelves of my

-> kitchen cabnets. I dislike contact paper. I was thinking of

-> using some kind of floor tile - it would be easy to clean, the

-> glue wouldn't get all nasty after a few years and it would be

-> lighter then the wood.

-> I've also considered putting down some polyurethane.

-> I would have to have "tackey" pointed out to me. So I was

-> wondering what other people used. ( Newspaper is out of the

-> question also.)

->

-> BM

Many people use peel and stick floor tiles in their cabinets. You can usually buy "leftovers" at the floors where they're sold. Or, if you have enough cabinets, buy a whole box.

I plan to do this some day. (I'm an accomplished procrastinator.)

Reply to
Suzie-Q

I had to re read it twice to get the humor. As in "what do you use to season steak?" A: My hands.

Reply to
Brett Miller

I never understood why people feel the need to put down shelf paper, or variations thereof. As long as shelves are clean, what is the point? Or is it one of those things their mother did, so they think it is required in order to be considered a 'proper' housekeeper? Maybe in a glass-front cabinet displaying fancy china, if the existing shelves were scarred up, but I would go with a careful repaint as described above. (and only if SWMBO insisted on it....)

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

something that allows an upsidedown glass/bowl/whatever in the cupboard to breathe, drain, and dry. the stuff i use is rubberized and comes in rolls from almost any store that sells shelf/contact paper.

anything else is simply cosmetic and im sure you can decide what you like the looks of.

randy

Reply to
xrongor