signing your work

Page 1 of 2
Do any of you sign your work? If so, what do you put on it & how do you do it. Anyone have any luck with the wood-burning stamps?
--
Steve & Lauri Bliss
San Antonio, Texas

I carve in my initials with a 2mm gouge
I use a burn-in stamp that was given to me by a customer and I also epoxy a penny from the current year into a shallow hole of the proper diameter/depth, thereby dating it also. Nice touch that most people seem to appreciate.
Steven Bliss wrote:

-- I AM NOT PARANOID .. .. .. but EVERYONE thinks I am !! !! !!
<<<__ Bob __>>>
That penny idea is neat. I might steal that idea and make it my own. :)

Not sure how that helps. I can go buy a Lincoln penny back to 1909 if I want.

Yeah, but can you buy 1909 flavored epoxy?
-Jack

Yes - they still make it. Croid. It'll stick a penny in a hole, and it's in period for 1909.
I forget exactly what's in it, but it's one of the first recipes for cold-plasticised hide glue in a tube. Good adhesive for sticking the leather wrapping back on old optical instruments, as hot hide glue tends to chill when it hits the brass tube.
Steven Bliss wrote:

For years I have signed my work in an inconspicuous spot using a Sharpie. I always put my name and the date of completion. Lately I've started adding a title, and details of construction too.
I'm going to have to come up with a different plan now that shellac is my default finish. Alcohol eats Sharpie ink. I knew that, but I forgot. Hoo boy, what a mess.
On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 12:39:08 -0500, Silvan

I use my usual cheap Japanese calligraphy pens - Zig or Sakura brand. Pigment inks, archivally stable.
For dark items (often oil-blackened steel), I also use the silver ink pens, but get the ones with a toluene solvent, not the water-gel. -- Die Gotterspammerung - Junkmail of the Gods
Andy Dingley wrote:

Hrm... I haven't done any calligraphy since Art 101, but that's not a bad idea at all.

Not a bad idea either.
I've been using Sharpies as a practical matter though. I bought a case of Sharpies once upon a time, and I haven't used all of them up yet. :)
They seem to be OK over cured shellac, with wax on top.
I'll look at calligraphy pens the next time I'm in some place that sells artsy stuff though.
On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 19:36:38 -0500, Silvan

These are double-ended (wide and narrow) chisel tips, pretty Western in style. For timber framing I also use Japanese "kindergarten" brush-calligraphy pens, with a long flexible fibre-tip. I guess I ought to use a real brush and a sumitsubo, but there are limits...
-- What ? Me ? Evil Dictator of Iraq ? Nah mate, I'm just a Hobbit, honest

Sometimes I do, sometimes don't. I put my first initial and last name with the year. I have carved it or burned it using a solderng gun. It's nice to recall when a piece was made!
in article Dr%Cb.125247$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.austin.rr.com, Steven Bliss at snipped-for-privacy@satx.rr.com wrote on 12/14/03 7:36 AM:

never found because it is usually in a place that will only be found while dismantling the piece! I sort of think of the If These Walls Could Talk TV show. Bruce
Bruce Farley wrote:

Betcha I can build anything you'd like $2 cheaper than you can. :)
I go to a trophy shop and have them make a brass plate with my name and date on it. Only costs a few bucks, and I just stick it in an inconspicuous area. Eric

Steven Bliss wrote:

I put 1st initial and last name then year, type of wood and short pertinent description if needed, in soft pencil under shellac on the bottom. Didn't used to, but got lots of requests/demands. Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (T.) wrote in message (Upscale) says:

In fact, JOAT posted instructions on how to make one just a few months ago, IIRC. DAGS - JOAT and IRON. I printed them out and was looking at them just yesterday.
I usually carve my initials and date with a small chisel somewhere inconspicous.
-Chris
good morning steve and lauri. on all my cabinets,dressers,and couch's inside front bottom, i crave out about half inch high two inch's across and quarter inch in , and with ingraver i sign my signature, and glue it in, than i put two lil cabinet doors with tiny winy nobs (handels) and a ity bity lock lach.
people love to call me and laugh about the lil cabinet doors, they trip on the fact that they open/close just like any other cabinet, yes i know. I am weird.
but the ingraver works really cool with your sig, or a flower design, anything really, well hope it helped.