Shop Tips in Latest FWW

Page 1 of 4
Hiya, Just finished reading the latest FWW. I was reading the Shop Tips (or whatever they call it) and stopped on the one that suggested using an electric sander to sharpen/hone jointer knives in place. I thought to myself that you'd have to be pretty good at getting the angle correct and I'd probably screw that up. Then I noticed who sent it in: Jimmy Carter, Plains GA
Without passing judgement on his days in office, I still thought it was kind of cool to see a former President offering up a woodworking tip to a national magazine and that FWW printed it as though it came from any of us.
Cheers, cc
On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 18:49:41 -0600, "James \"Cubby\" Culbertson"

That was exactly my feeling.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
One of the recent issues had tools made by readers and one of his clamps was shown. I had to laugh as I read the description when it said something about the maker being a retired president, hahahaha. From the looks of it, he seems to be pretty good.
Bernie

If I recall correctly, when President Carter left the White House, his staff loaded him down with woodworking tools! He seems to have put them to good use.
And you have to like what he has done with Habitat for Humanity. Beats the heck out of what most retired Presidents do with their time.
Jim Ray, President McFeely's Square Drive Screws www.mcfeelys.com

Here here.
Brian.

One must assume that you really meant 'hear! hear!', as in I hear and agree, rather than come on over here, y'all.
scott

Just to add on: Fine Woodworking ran an article on Carter in the mid to later '80's. He's been building furniture since his military (Navy?) and newlywed days in the 1950's.

Academy. He's a degreed engineer (nuclear), and served at least one tour of duty on board a nuclear sub.
He was the fifth _consecutive_ President with Navy service.
Doug Miller wrote:

And I always found it amusing that people who did not know that ranked on him for pronouncing it "nucular".

--
--John
J. Clarke wrote:

dictionary. I believe our current president pronounces it the same way.

--

Gerald Ross, Cochran, GA
To reply add the numerals "13" before the "at"

I looked into this some years ago and remember there being a good deal of exaggeration involved, or at least the Carter camp allowing his education to be exaggerated. He may have some sort of an engineering degree from the Naval Academy (not exactly MIT, but fine...). I have yet to see a credible source indicate what the actual degree was in. USNA does not have a program in nuclear engineering.
As for Carter's experiance in nuclear engineering, his own Library site (http://www.jimmycarterlibrary.org/documents/jec/jcnavy.phtml ) puts it rather subtly:
"From 3 NOV 1952 to 1 MAR 1953 he served on temporary duty with Naval Reactors Branch, US Atomic Energy Commission, Washington, D.C. "assisting in the design and development of nuclear propulsion plants for naval vessels." From 1 MAR 1953 to 8 OCT 1953 he was under instruction to become an engineering officer for a nuclear power plant. He also assisted in setting up on-the-job training for the enlisted men being instructed in nuclear propulsion for the USS Seawolf (SSM 575)."
That phrase "under instruction," without mentioning any completion of instruction, leaves enough doubt in my mind that he ever became a genuine bona fide nuclear engineer, or anything close to it.
The USNA site mentions that "he later did graduate work in nuclear *physics* at Union College" [emphasis mine], which I find uncredible or at least an exaggeration. UC has no nuclear physics program, nor mentions Carter anywhere in such capacity in its site as you might expect, although he may well have taken a course that included nuclear physics as a component. Hardly something worth touting.
Don't get me wrong, I like the guy, but I find these exaggerations unattractive. If anyone knows of a reputable source that gives more detail about President Carter's education, I'd be happy to look it over.
...And (Gerald) I don't care what dumbass editor of a lame descriptive dictionary lists it, "nucular" is worthy only of babies, dislexics, and those who don't care about language. Misdemeanor, not a felony, but still a crime.
My 2 H ..who still cringes when "impact" is used as a transitive verb, probably a losing battle....
On 25 Jun 2004 20:55:09 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@sewanee.edu (Hylourgos) wrote:

You probably love "task" in the same capacity, then. How about "what's your take on...?"
The latest one that's been sweeping the media is the word grow as a verb. Not that it has been used before; e.g. I'm going to grow corn this summer. But that's the only context I've ever heard it used as a verb. Now we're hearing about how to grow your business, or the book I'm currently reading in all to frequent trips to the bathroom, "The Dogs Who Grew Me." (actually, the lady author is a good writer; I just have serious problems with that use of the word "grow").
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
snipped-for-privacy@pobox.com wrote:

ear as "gift", "parent", and "author" used as verbs.

To change the topic - which living president or ex-president would you like for a neighbor? I'll take Carter...
Hylourgos wrote:

I think you're going out of your way to be critical here. I find it odd to be in the position of defending Jimmy Carter, but . . .
In 1946, when Jimmy Carter graduated from the Naval Academy, there _was_ no such thing as "nuclear engineering" as an academic discipline. What you learned you learned on the job from mentors. Remember, the first demonstration of a controlled chain reaction took place in December, 1942, less than 4 years before Carter graduated, and the whole field was on a "need to know" basis--most of the US didn't even know that there was such a thing as nuclear energy outside of science fiction until the sky lit up over most of the Southwest on July 16, 1945, less than a year before.

The Navy doesn't issue engineering degrees. Anybody who Rickover turns loose with a nuclear plant knows his stuff though.

You have a misconception concerning "nuclear physics". First, there is no academic discipline by that name. Second, Enrico Fermi, J. Robert Oppenheimer, and the others who made the aforementioned flash in the Southwest, built the first reactors, separated the first weapons-grade uranium, bred the first plutonium, etc did not have degrees in "nuclear physics" or in "nuclear engineering" or in "nuclear" anything else. If you check the MIT, Caltech, and University of Chicago (the place where Enric Fermi built the first nuclear reactor) you will find that none of them offer a degree in "nuclear physics". It was and still is just "physics", with coursework concentrated on the physics of atomic nuclei rather than, say, optics. Whether he got a degree from Union I have no idea, but if he was doing graduate study and passing the courses again he's no ignoramus and if he took courses in reactor theory (GAHHHHH--calculating neutron-diffusion by _hand_--I'm impressed--it's bad enough with a mainframe but there were precious few computers of _any_ kind then) and the physics of atomic nuclei, that's all that any nuclear engineer gets that's different from what any other kind of engineer gets.
Further, at the time there was no real distinction between physics and engineering when it came to nuclear power--in the 1946-1953 timeframe nuclear energy was still very much cutting edge physics--the people who designed and operated reactors were by training physicists even though what they were doing was engineering. Further, no school had the facilities to teach reactor operations--the first college to have a working nuclear reactor on campus other than Chicago (which built _one_, unshielded, ran it long enough to get the data they needed--now _that_ is _scary_--and tore it down--it most assuredly wasn't usable for teaching operations) was North Carolina State College, and theirs went into operation in 1953, the same year that Carter left the Navy. On the other hand, the Navy _did_ have a reactor running in 1953 and people who worked on that program can be expected to have more real expertise than anyone coming out of a university program (other than the ones who worked with Fermi at Chicago) of the same era. Complicating the whole issue, a great deal of the Navy nuclear power program was and still is highly classified. So the whole notion of academic credentials related to the design, construction, and operation of nuclear reactors in that timeframe is pretty fuzzy. If he was one of Rickover's boys and he wants to call himself a nuclear engineer and Rickover doesn't object then I'm sure not going to--Rickover knew _everything_ Carter had done and one thing you did _not_ do was lie around Rickover.

I suspect that some of it comes under the heading of "I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you".

I say nu_cul_ar and you say nu_cle_ar, nucular, nuclear, let's call the whole thing off . . .
Personally I suspect he was doing it to further his folksy peanut-farmer image and that doing so was a tactical error, one of many, but what do I know?

A long lost battle. It's in the Oxford as a transitive verb, with first use in 1601.
--
--John
<<I say nu_cul_ar and you say nu_cle_ar, nucular, nuclear, let's call the whole thing off . . .>>

Lee Gordon wrote:

Different words, different roots. "Nuclear" has nothing to do with clarity. It's based in the French word "nucle", while "unclear" is based in the Latin word "claro". One would no more expect them to be pronounced the same than one would "Euler" and "Euclid".

--
--John
On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 05:38:36 -0400, "J. Clarke"

Someday, when you reread the post to which you responded, you're going to bitchslap yourself silly for not getting the joke.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
LOL!!!
LRod wrote:

"LRod" wrote in message

Probably not, now that Internet search engines have put the "smart" in smart ass.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/15/04