Sheldons Engineering's impeller for budget blower

I read the very informative Bill Pentz's site

on dust collectors and followed his recomnandations for a Cyclone. I'm almost done putting it together, but I'm still waiting for the impeller that was ordered from Sheldons Engineering.

Did anyone order the 14" impeller from Sheldons? It was ordered May 5, 2004 (3 weeks ago) and I haven't heard from them. They don't answer e-mails or faxes. They ask for a Paypal transfer so they have my money.

Richard

Reply to
Richard G

Call them. I found their email response was a bit slow. It did take some time to get mine delivered (forget how long now but it was weeks, not days). I ordered around summer time last year. Haven't gotten around to building the cyclone yet but I've got all the parts ready to go. I'd be curious to hear how your construction went, any tips you have, etc.... Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

putting it

e-mails or

I had the same problem when ordering my impeller from Sheldons. They cashed my check, and never sent the impeller. I telephoned, spoke with Paul Patton, and he said the order apparently never got entered back to their shipping department. I waited another two weeks, called again, and got the same story. After the fourth or fifth call, Paul told me he was just going to send an impeller. I received it about 3 days later. But it took about 10 weeks overall to get it. Apparently, they have some internal communication problems.

Call them directly. (800)265-3572

Hope this helps, John Sellers

Reply to
John Sellers

I ordered back in April and it arrived last week. They did answer my email.

Reply to
J. Clarke

As long as I know that it's going to be shipped, it's fine. I understand that Sheldons doesn't usually sell to the general public, but it shouldn't be hard to confirm the order and shipping date.

I made my cyclone using Clarke Echols' kit

I made the blower using Bill Pentz's design, with a 5 HP Leeson #120554 motor and (when I finally get it) Sheldons Engineering's 14" impeller.

Clarke's kit is very good, the instructions are detailed but there are some discrepencies. If you're using this kit, I could give you some pointers. If someone is considering buying the kit or making his cyclone from scratch, I'd be happy to discuss the pros and cons of both choices if they'd like.

I spent a considerable amount of time reading all the threads I could find on the subject and the invaluable material on Bill's site. As I can understand, it is (or it was) an ongoing project for Bill and the design evolved over the months/years. Some of the information on the site refers to past designs and no longer applies. It gets confusing at times. For example, some of the blower pictures show the old design and some show the new design. The spiral layout has also changed. Steve Cater's site

shows the older design.

Richard

Reply to
Richard G

Hi Richard,

what's your start stop mechanism and are you using a remote?

I found a start stop (I've got a 5 hp too.) from Oneida-air.com for $400 and would rather look around 1st for another cheaper option. Having problems finding a start stop that uses a remote for the 5 hp. motor that ends up being relatively cheap.

sorry to ask a different question in this thread but I can't figure out how to reply to Richard only, keeps asking for a new user pass or something when I do that, got around it by replying to the group.

thanks

lb.

Reply to
James Dean

Surplus Sales of Nebraska has heavy-duty relay sets for not much money. which can be 'operated' by any sort of light-duty remote control -- e.g. X-10, or maybe even a 'Clapper'.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

My brother is an electric contractor and he's going to take care of that part. Look at the Electrical section on Steve Cater's site

for some details on his solution. He used a 30A dedicated purpose contactor and X10 module. $400 is certainly way too expensive, a contactor with switching coil @220V should be in the 20-30$ range.

I found that gathering infos and parts was the most time consuming part of this project. A dust free woodworking shop is worth the effort though.

Richard

Reply to
Richard G

Home Depot is selling a remote control unit for about (IIRC) $15 that will work also. Meant for light duty, I'm sure, but should power a

120V relay coil with no problem.
Reply to
LP

Sorry,

havn't had a chance to come back till now.

Thanks all for your advice. I'm on it!

I knew $400 was to much.

Reply to
James Dean