Shop Tips in Latest FWW

Hiya, Just finished reading the latest FWW. I was reading the Shop Tips (or whatever they call it) and stopped on the one that suggested using an electric sander to sharpen/hone jointer knives in place. I thought to myself that you'd have to be pretty good at getting the angle correct and I'd probably screw that up. Then I noticed who sent it in: Jimmy Carter, Plains GA

Without passing judgement on his days in office, I still thought it was kind of cool to see a former President offering up a woodworking tip to a national magazine and that FWW printed it as though it came from any of us.

Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

That was exactly my feeling.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

One of the recent issues had tools made by readers and one of his clamps was shown. I had to laugh as I read the description when it said something about the maker being a retired president, hahahaha. From the looks of it, he seems to be pretty good.

Bernie

Reply to
Bernie Hunt

If I recall correctly, when President Carter left the White House, his staff loaded him down with woodworking tools! He seems to have put them to good use.

And you have to like what he has done with Habitat for Humanity. Beats the heck out of what most retired Presidents do with their time.

Jim Ray, President McFeely's Square Drive Screws

Jim

Here here.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

Just to add on: Fine Woodworking ran an article on Carter in the mid to later '80's. He's been building furniture since his military (Navy?) and newlywed days in the 1950's.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

He's had work featured in "Current Work". FWW didn't draw extra attention to his work, and it certainly deserved to be there.

I agree with you, politics aside, he seems like a normal guy.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Probably the most decent man to ever inhabit the White House (and I say that as a lifelong Republican). It says volumes about our society, most of it bad, that being a decent man is a liability in that job.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I always had the highest personal regard for the man and his integrity as a human being, in other words, acting on his words (as in his involvement with Habitat for Humanity; not just ON a Board but actually swingin' a hammer at a board!) and not just pronouncing them from a podium.

Come to think of it, I wonder if he ever visits here? (clearing throat) Um, Mr. President?

Brad PS You wrote my newborn daughter a nice "welcom to the world" note in

1988 from the Carter Library; it's framed on her wall.....

Reply to
brad

Whadya mean retired? Seems to beat what most recent *sitting* presidents do with their time.

That remark should not be taken as a derogatory slam on the moron in the Whitehouse, his morally flexible predecessor, the moron's father, or the much revered actor who played president for eight years.

hex

-30-

Reply to
hex

Yes, Navy. He is the only President to have graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy. He's a degreed engineer (nuclear), and served at least one tour of duty on board a nuclear sub.

He was the fifth _consecutive_ President with Navy service.

Doug Miller

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (hex) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Well summarized. As Harry S Truman said, "I don't give 'em hell - I just give 'em the truth, and they THINK it's hell."

Reply to
Scott Cramer

And I always found it amusing that people who did not know that ranked on him for pronouncing it "nucular".

Reply to
J. Clarke

Omigawd! That ought to bring 'em out, guns and out-of-context factoids blazing. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Agreed. Sigh. Much too honest to be a politician. Way too much integrity and compassion. God bless him. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

I agree that he was, and is, a very decent man. He was humble yet extremely well informed on all issues. He has done many worthwhile things since leaving office. Unfortunately, he was a very poor president.

Dick

Reply to
Richard Cline

One must assume that you really meant 'hear! hear!', as in I hear and agree, rather than come on over here, y'all.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

My wife and I were having this exact conversation when I showed her the FWW tip.

I decent guy gets run over like road kill in politics.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Reply to
Mark L.

IIRC Slick Willy and Bob Dole raised over $100 million for scholarships to the children of the 9/11 casualties.

Reply to
RKON