Shelf Pin Holes

Page 3 of 3

Ahh you are speaking of the regular vix stye bits. Agreed, those do clog. The Rockler pin jig bit has not clogged enough on me to need to stop and clear it.

On 1/9/2010 11:44 AM, GarageWoodworks wrote:

Done it every way possible, both drill and router.
I'm with Leon ... the Rockler jig, or a similar brand, with the vix bit, is the cat's meow. I've made similar one's out of plexiglass and 1/4 mdf on the drill press in a pinch.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

I use to have a Rockler here down the street, but they closed up shop. :^( I need to place an order for next time.
GarageWoodworks wrote:

I prefer steel KV clips.
As far as the holes go, I use a plunge router with a 1/4" bit and a 3/8 bushing. Years ago I carefully laid out a hole spacing pattern and drilled 3/8" holes with a drill press in a piece of 1/2" mel board. That board has overlaps on the edge to register it the desired distance on whatever I am making holes in. I've used it for 1000s of holes.
I prefer a router to a drill because the holes wind up perpendicular without any effort. It is also fast...turn on router, release plunge clamp, stick in hole, push down, lift up, move to next hole.
I used 1/2" mel board to keep router bit length to a mimimum. Over the years, the holes have become a bit edge rounded from the bushing insertions but that doesn't matter as the interior of the hole is fine.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 1/9/2010 11:44 AM, GarageWoodworks wrote:

Done it every way possible, both drill and router.
I'm with Leon ... the Rockler jig, or a similar brand, with the vix bit, is the cat's meow. I've made similar one's out of plexiglass and 1/4 mdf on the drill press in a pinch.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Our fine folks at FastCap sell adhesive tape with 32 mm marks printed on it. Handy if you don't have a lot of them to do.

I also have the Rockler one. Works great. I just use my battery drill. WW
GarageWoodworks wrote:

At the risk of sounding like a philistine and cheap, I've always used a piece of pegboard (1/4" holes) cut to fit in the case. Registered to the bottom with a square cut to ensure that the holes are parallel to the case and using a drill bit with either a stop collar or a piece of tape for depth control.
Simple, fast, cheap if you aren't doing lots of shelves

Rob Leatham

Are you a tight-a**ed Irishman too?
Related to one?
Scottish too, but we won't claim them right away.
RonB wrote:

Nope, stubborn German. We've gotta be convinced it's worth spending money also.

Rob Leatham
Here is the cheap(er) version of the same jig Norm did use:
http://www.megproducts.com/basic-bore32.html