Fixing rust pin holes.

The steel sunroof on the ol' Rover is very rusty. New ones are NLA. Secondhand ones very expensive - and most will be rusty too.

I have two spares. One bought recently and looked to be pretty good. But has problems.

The construction is a pressed steel frame with a single skin across it. Curved in two directions.

I've stripped the paint off my spares, to find both have pin holes in the skin - and not where they are welded to the frame as in my present one. Just a couple of holes in the middle of the skin.

What would be the best way to fix them so they have a good life? My welding place says trying to just weld the holes is impossible.

The original was bare metal'd and filled with some expensive polyester filler when the car was sprayed about 6 years ago - but started showing problems after 3 or so. So I'd like something that lasts longer than that.

At one time, lead was used for body filling. How long would such a repair last?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Braze them surely? Then you use a hammer and dolly to work the top surface flat again, or more likely slightly concave, then filler or lead to suit.

You could also gas weld them. Anyone who can't just isn't trying.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Indefinitely. The surrounding bodywork will rot away first.

I did lead loading at my car restoration course, about

20 years ago ... It's not something you can pick up straight away. There's a number of videos on Youtube (search for "lead loading"). This isn't a bad one;

(Turn the sound off unless you like not very good heavy metal.)

You can see how he uses the torch to keep the lead at the "buttery" stage and manipulates it with a paddle dipped in tallow (to stop the lead from sticking to it.) Once he has the rought outline, he sands away the lead with an angle grinder (hurrah!) with a sanding disk in it (wear a respirator!) then polishes the lead with a air buffer. You need special lead - I imagine Frosts sell it.

Reply to
Huge

What about coating it with a paint like "Tank slop" this seals rust pin holes in fuel tanks and I have used it with good long term results.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

Great - I've read how it's done and am confident I can do it. I just wanted to know what sort of life it would have.

I did sort of expect it would be ok - after tin cans etc last for a very long time and they're soldered together.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)