coating steel pipe for rust protection?

We're installing some mounts for solar panels and it requires that 5" diameter steel pipes are embedded in concrete. I'm worried about the pipes rusting up.

What's a good, anti-corrosion coating to use on the pipes before pouring the concrete? Thx.

Reply to
Ben Telller

My first thought would be external enamel paint.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Galvanized pipe.

Reply to
Meanie

"Ben Telller" <

Tar?

Reply to
Phil Kangas

Hot dipped Galvanized preferred.

Reply to
clare

Extend neutralized existing rust - don't think it would be worth much tp prevent rust in contact with concrete.

Reply to
clare

for long term durability use galavanized heavy wall pipe, then fill pie sticking out of cured concrete with motor oil.

a friend did this over 30 years ago when he put up a fence in the yard, so it couldnt rust out.

he was replacing a fence that had rusted out

Reply to
bob haller

The solar company sold us an engineered package of equipment.

There are four, 265 watt panels per mount. The engineering specifications for the mount specify schedule 40 or schedule 80, five inch pipe for the main vertical support. This vertical 5" pipe is embedded in ~ a cubic yard of concrete. The lowest wind-rated part of the system is 90 mph.

If we see dark clouds a'comin, I guess we'll be unbolting panels and taking them inside.....

Reply to
devnull

Sounds like a lot of money for the install. Did you buy the panels outright? I get calls all the time about solar, but I don't talk to telemarketers on stuff like that. They offer a lease and they get all the tax credits. At my age (70), I don't see a payback.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Tar !!!!

(or use PVC pipes instead).

Reply to
Paintedcow

tar coated pipe into a concrete base? and 5 inch PVC to hold up a massive PV panel array???

You gotta read the thread before you spout your " BS"

Reply to
clare

The homeowner I'm working with paid cash for the equipment and engineering plans. It's great equipment at a great price but solar does have a relatively long payback.

I think the homeowner is thinking about brownout/blackout conditions at world's end. It's kinda hard to put a value on that.

Reply to
devnull

Ok, I thought these were for running cables under a cement floor. The OP's post was rather vague. Now I can see that these are support posts. However, the tar should prevent rusting. Just brush on that liquid roofing tar (not the roof cement that gets trowled on.) (Wooden power poles with creosote would probably work as well).

Reply to
Paintedcow
5 inch pipes set in concrete will outlast you.

Unless you cover the concrete with soil, then they will rust through at the concrete soil interface.

Reply to
TimR

I would still opt for hot dip galvanized pipe.

Reply to
clare

solar installs typically sync up with the power line. no power line voltage no solar power available.

thus useless in power failure situations

Reply to
bob haller

bob haller posted for all of us...

Aren't you always posting about the environment? Motor oil??? Properly maintained it will last longer than you.

Reply to
Tekkie®

ASTM A123 to be precise.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Unless they are set up with a battery pack for "off-grid" power. Virtually unheard of to have a setup that works boith ways

Reply to
clare