Ants in tub

Ants in tub. Nowhere else. Any idea why? Black carpenter. Pennsylvania.

1 or 2 per day.
Reply to
Thomas

They are a symptom of wet, rotted wood.

MikeB

Reply to
BQ340

We had a large scale attack the first day I mowed the lawn this year. Some must have come in on my clothes.

We used Raid bait traps to kill the bugs that may be hidden in walls or underground. The ants will take it back to the nest and kill their buddies.

Then we followed up with Raid Ant Killer 17 and a few days later there were zero ants.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

| Ants in tub. Nowhere else. Any idea why? Black carpenter. Pennsylvania. | 1 or 2 per day.

Carpenter ants.... you mean the big ones? The little ones tend to travel this time of year, for a week or two. We had a troop of them coming up inside the house last year and marching into the 2nd floor tub. They must have been confused by some shampoo scent. But they're harmless and stopped roaming soon after.

As BQ340 said, the big ones are a sign of rot. They don't cause harm, per se. They'll tunnel in the wet, damaged wood but, unlike termites, they don't actually represent a threat. Actually they're a help because they let you know there's trouble before it gets worse. Carpenter ants will only eat wet wood, so you probably have a leak in the tile somewhere that's been going for awhile. You should consider doing whatever's necessary to check it out. If it's rotting it should be dealt with now. Once it's fixed the ants will leave. No need to treat them in any way.

Reply to
Mayayana