Shelf Pin Holes

The nice advantage to getting away from the router and using a drill is that you can go to any location and add holes after assembly if necessary. I have had customers ask me to add shelves to areas already built in in their homes. The Rockler set up with a drill make it a simple task.

Reply to
Leon

I have the Rockler jig too. Works like a champ.

Reply to
Steve Turner

I also have the Rockler one. Works great. I just use my battery drill. WW

Reply to
WW

At the risk of sounding like a philistine and cheap, I've always used a piece of pegboard (1/4" holes) cut to fit in the case. Registered to the bottom with a square cut to ensure that the holes are parallel to the case and using a drill bit with either a stop collar or a piece of tape for depth control.

Simple, fast, cheap if you aren't doing lots of shelves

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

This is what I usually do. Mark top and bottom and any edge index marks you need. Clamp in place.

Cheap and often available in the scrap bin.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Are you a tight-a**ed Irishman too?

Related to one?

Scottish too, but we won't claim them right away.

Reply to
RonB

On Sat, 9 Jan 2010 17:23:06 -0800, the infamous "Lew Hodgett" scrawled the following:

They're right proud of those things, aren't they? $22 a pop, and $7 for a replacement short bit. Vix bits ARE cool, though.

--============================================-- Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional. ---

ToolyRoo(tm) and Possum(tm) Handy Pouches NOW AVAILABLE!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yeah they are a bit pricey but I have probably drilled 1-2 thousand holes with mine and have not yet replaced or sharpened the bit.

The bit being like Vix bit differs slightly in the union of the end of the bit and the jig. The end is not tapered like a regular Vix bit, it is flat bottomed with a collar. The bit fits precicely in the hole and is flat bottomed to help insure that the bit is 90 degrees to the jig.

Reply to
Leon

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 21:11:51 -0600, the infamous "Leon" scrawled the following:

That's good to know. Man, you build a lot of adjustable shelving, don't you?

Bueno.

--============================================-- Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional. ---

ToolyRoo(tm) and Possum(tm) Handy Pouches NOW AVAILABLE!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Well consider a hole every 2 or so inches on say a 3' tall cabinet and only having adjustments in the center 2'. You have almost 50 holes for that one cabinet. Now multiply that for all the upper cabinets on 1 kitchen project... you are up to 400-600 holes. Then there have been at least 4 kitchens and 3 bathrooms that I have done this on and countless other stand alone furniture cabinets. I probably under estimated. LOL And to come to think about it....I think that is why my shoulder was bothering me after helping Swingman with his last kitchen. I put the holes in after we installed the cabinets. The new bed however fixed the shoulder problem within a couple nights sleep. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

What mattress did you put on your bed?

Reply to
Steve Turner

This one,

& Foster Estate King size.

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
Pat Barber

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 11:51:34 -0600, the infamous "Leon" scrawled the following:

OUCH! I can imagine the gut and ribs hurt, too, working overhead and sideways like that. Didja swat that sumbish -good- for making you do that? What a pal he is.

-- What helps luck is a habit of watching for opportunities, of having a patient, but restless mind, of sacrificing one's ease or vanity, of uniting a love of detail to foresight, and of passing through hard times bravely and cheerfully. -- Charles Victor Cherbuliez

Reply to
Larry Jaques

What Leon said -- they last a long time; in general, they don't get hard use so are pretty durable. You do spend a lot of time clearing them though

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Nope, stubborn German. We've gotta be convinced it's worth spending money also.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

When you do physical work you some times get sore. I was probably just adding more to my already hulking muscles. :~)

I was and am certainly not complaining. The experience is well worth it.

Reply to
Leon

Clearing them??? I have never had to clear this particular set up. I have seen that they get clogged up but continued drilling seems to correct that. I mostly drill into plywood's however and you may be drilling in a more problematic wood...

Vix bits yes, in hard and soft woods.

Reply to
Leon

...and after putting down hardwood flooring in the west end of the house, I discovered I really did have [sore] butt muscles. Never knew they were there before that.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

I've noticed that if don't keep the holes in the bit at 90 degrees to the holes in the template you'll fill the next hole up with saw dust. It only takes a couple holes to figure it out though.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.