Iron on edge -- laminate trimmer?

I don't have much luck with those razor knife trimmers for iron on wood edging for plywood.

There ok but not perfect.

I'll try my laminate trimmer but before I do, has anyone done it this way? with a standard flush laminate trimmer bit?

Reply to
mkr5000

I just use a utility knife. Maybe touch up if needed with a fine file or sandpaper.

Reply to
dadiOH

I use a 10" flat bastard file to trim edging.

Nothing to gum up.

YMMV

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

thanks robatoy -- chisel sounds like the way to go. will do some practice parts -- hate those razor trimmers.

Reply to
mkr5000

Sharp, but not crazy sharp because you don't want to dig into your panel. It is a natural feel. Keep an eye on the grain, you don't want your chisel to pull on the tape, in case where the grain changes direction/angle, you change direction.

Reply to
Robatoy

Finish up with a sanding block. 150 grit 1/2 sheet on a piece of 5/8 PB, contact cement it on. lasts and lasts.

Reply to
Robatoy

----------------------------------- Sharp, but not crazy sharp because you don't want to dig into your panel. It is a natural feel. Keep an eye on the grain, you don't want your chisel to pull on the tape, in case where the grain changes direction/angle, you change direction.

----------------------------------- Which is why I like the flat bastard file.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I find the thermal adhesive tends to gum up a file, even a coarse son of a bitch bastard file.

Reply to
Robatoy

--------------------------------------- I find the thermal adhesive tends to gum up a file, even a coarse son of a bitch bastard file.

By the time that starts happening, it's time to get it resharpened and grab a new file.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 10:44:23 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy scrawled the following:

I learned to do it with a big honkin mill bastard file. Throw a couple layers of tape on the end that you slide on the board and angle it about 45 into the cut. Now slide the file and it saws the tape right down.

With oak edging, it pulls lots fewer grain rips than a razor cutter. A swipe with a medium sanding pad softens it for you prior to finishing.

--============================================-- Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional. ---

ToolyRoo(tm) and Possum(tm) Handy Pouches NOW AVAILABLE!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

I find that the edge of a half-round file held at a small angle to the job's surface with the half-round face uppermost, acts as a cutter as it progresses along the edge.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Gorman

Reply to