Sears Lathe Question

Page 1 of 2
Hi,
I'm an amature hobbyist. I just picked up a Sears Long Bed Wood Lathe, Model Number 28955 and six chisels off of Kijiji. I have been searching the net for information and manuals on the lathe but with no success. Does anyone have any information they can share with me?
Thanks, Sheldon

Is this a 'Craftsman' lathe? If so, what's the full (8 - 10 digits) model number? There should be a plate or sticker somewhere with that info.
Len
Hi Len,
I believe this pre-dates Craftsman. It doesn't have the Craftsman label. It only has the old Sears label. The only model number on it is 28955.
Thanks.

snipped-for-privacy@remove.home.com wrote:

You might find something over the "Old Woodworking Machines" web site at:
http://www.owwm.com /
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

I was going to suggest that too, but unfortunately they seem to have nothing on machines made by Sears, Roebuck and Co., at least none that I could find. Anyone else have better luck? Maybe your lathe is listed under the actual manufacturer, if you can determine who that was.

Maybe I should post a bit more detail. It has a capacity to turn a 12" diameter and 41" between centers. It has tubes that the tail stock moves on. I'm guessing it was made by someone else for Sears.
On Sat, 30 May 2009 17:38:30 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@remove.home.com wrote:

If it's that old, I suspect it may have actually been made by Emerson for Sears.
Emerson now makes the 'Rigid' line for Home Depot, so you might want to take a look at the manual for the Rigid Model 14773 lathe to see if it's close enough. Click on the "book" just about the picture at http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/WL1200-Wood-Lathe/ to access the owners manual.
If that's not it, try looking for a Emerson lathe manual instead of Sears.
Len
Sounds like a 60's lathe maybe a 70. I remember it - but I had my 40's already and still use that heavy iron model.
Len wrote:

Try posting to rec.crafts.woodturning. Odds are that somebody over there owns or once owned one.

Try looking here:
http://www.owwm.com/
ssesOn May 30, 10:32am, snipped-for-privacy@remove.home.com wrote:

The number that you found (28955) is more similar to those found on Atlas metalworking lathes: http://www.lathes.co.uk/craftsman/page3.html Atlas also supplied Sears with lathes using a prefix 101 in the model number. I cant say for sure who made your lathe but, Atlas made both metalworking as well as woodworking equipment: http://www.atlas-press.com/index.htm
(Maybe you know, but Sheldon is also a brand of lathes: http://www.lathes.co.uk/sheldon/index.html ) <g> -DG
Thanks to everyone who has responded. I have checked all the suggested sites. I haven't found anything that has matched.
I emailed Sears directly to see if they had any information. After half a dozen frustrating emails the closest they could find in their database was 101.28950 where I was looking for 28955. Their model number was for a 12" Craftsman Metal lathe made by Clausing Corp Services. It seems that they are now Atlas.
The writing on the lathe is both in English and French. Would that make a difference as to who made it?
On Sat, 30 May 2009 23:04:02 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gis.net wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@remove.home.com says...

Is it Canadian manufacture or just marketed in Canada?
Either way, there may be a different numbering system for Canada.
Why not post a picture of the unit along with all the identifying marks somewhere and ask people to have a look.
Antique Atlas owners could probably tell you whether your craftsman was in that lineage.
@yahoo.com says...

Whoops... I think you said before craftsman... Are you sure?
The Craftsman brand goes back to 1927.
On Jun 1, 8:11pm, snipped-for-privacy@remove.home.com wrote:

In another post where you described your lathe as having tubes for the bed. Emerson Electric supplied Sears with some wood lathes using a single tube (monotube) for the bed, whereas AMT (American Machine & Tool) supplied some lathes with a bed using two tubes (1-1/4 dia). Heres a picture of an AMT lathe:
http://www.creeksidewoodshop.com/Creeksidewoodshop-Workshop/Lathe.JPG . Maybe its similar to yours. Sears had many suppliers: http://www.owwm.com/craftsman/manufacturers.aspx?sort=1 AMT had a prefix 149 in its model number, but I had no luck searching for 149.28955. There are more experts on the OWWM website and they might help you better if you post pictures there.
Hi Folks,.
The AMT lathe is the one! The picture is exactly like the one I have. According to www.owwm.com it is an AMT Lathe Model 273. I have emailed the company from where the picture came from to see if they have an electronic manual they could share.
Thanks very much for the help.
Sheldon
On Mon, 1 Jun 2009 21:42:11 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gis.net wrote:

, snipped-for-privacy@remove.home.com wrote:

My son has a model 228160 that *appears* (according to the picture of the AMT lathe at owwm.com) to be the same lathe. He has the owners manual for his lathe. If you don't have any luck finding a source, I can make a copy of this manual and send it to you.
Max

I just checked Sears "parts" and found this: http://tinyurl.com/qv7r2f or: http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/searchByPartDescAction !searchByPartDescription.pd?brandId47&productCategoryId28000&modelNumber3228160&backToLink=Return+to+Sub+Components+list&partDescription=manual
Sorry, I just discovered that this lathe was manufactured by Emerson.
wrote:

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/searchByPartDescAction !searchByPartDescription.pd?brandId47&productCategoryId28000&modelNumber3228160&backToLink=Return+to+Sub+Components+list&partDescription=manual
On May 30, 10:32am, snipped-for-privacy@remove.home.com wrote:

I googled "beginning lathe turning" and got lots of results:
# Wood turning lathe tips:techniques: woodturning instruction It is our hope that this web site will help both beginning and advanced turners to increase their skills in wood turning, tool sharpening, and lathe use ... aroundthewoods.com/ - 16k - Cached - Similar pages - Make your own Contents Beginners Tips
Free Video Intermediate to Advanced Woodturning lathe maintenance Gallery More results from aroundthewoods.com # Shopsmith - Articles and Projects - Lathe Turning Tips Practice, sharp tools, and a reliable machine - these are the surest avenues to beautiful lathe turning results. And here are several tips, hints, ... drillpresstips.com/ownersite/proj_articles/lathetips.htm - 22k - Cached - Similar pages - # Wood Turning - Beginning by Choosing a Lathe - Seven Points to ... Wood Turning - Beginning by Choosing a Lathe - Seven Points to Consider. ezinearticles.com/?Wood-Turning---Beginning-by-Choosing-a-Lathe--- Seven-Points-to-Consider&id=542794 - 50k - Cached - Similar pages -