Searching for (new) wood supplier

Seems I gotta find me a new source for wood. So, I'll tell ya'll what I got in the way of suppliers, my situation, and ask y'all for any additional input or sources. This is mostly aboutyour personal experiences since I'm quite capable of a google search. Also, some places I'm thinking about might not be found using google (like mills).

I know about, but haven't dealt with Hartzell and Steve Wall. Once I tried to order some 6/4 or 8/4 cherry from Hartzell and they told me they didn't have it. I'm planning on checking out (and buying my 6 or 8/4 cherry, some maple and walnut that I couldn't get at Advantage) Exotic Lumber in Gaithersburg Monday. Little pricy, but not as bad as others, and I don't need much (2-6/4 * 7' * 4", 2-4/4 * 7' * 4" and a bit more). Besides, I gotta check out their selection of exotics. There are other places in the DC area, but they are prohibitively expensive usually (Woodcraft, and so on).

At this point I prefer to buy S2S1E, in quantities somewhat less than

200 board feet (10 of this, 20 of that, etc.)

I live in the DC burbs, but do get up to the Harrisburg PA area, though that's gonna get less frequent. Don't have a truck at the moment, but can carry 8' rs in my car (just not too many of them).

I think that ideally I'd like to find a place that has decent prices and will ship the stuff (like Advantage used to do). Second option would be a place not too far that has decent prices (like a mill maybe). I think there was a place in VA like this that I can't recall. I'm more reluctant with the second choice since I don't have a truck and would hate to drive a million miles to pick up my $12 ;-) worth of wood.

What are some other options?

Thanx Renata

Reply to
Renata

options?

Give up woodworking.

Get a truck.

Move.

Pick any ONE of the above to solve your problem.

OR, just quit whining!

dave

Renata wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

On 18 Dec 2003, Bay Area Dave spake unto rec.woodworking:

And yet, despite posts like this, there are people here who still think you are an asshole.

Reply to
Scott Cramer

It's easy to draw you out with posts such as my reply to R. You are the the quintessential knee-jerker.

Scott Cramer wrote:

snip

Mostly you, potty mouth.

Sincerely,

dave

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Some time ago, a gent posted his experience using a folding trailer. Did a quick google and maybe this is the thread. If not search a bit more:

pickup recently died and now I have a Saturn with a hitch on it. I'll be buying a light trailer in 5x8 range to bring wood home. You might want to think about a light trailer if your car can handle it.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

On 18 Dec 2003, Bay Area Dave spake unto rec.woodworking:

Somebody has to do it.

Renata has an actual woodworking problem. Not the kind of "what happens if I glue shirt buttons on to squash pies" kind of question that you favor, but a serious question that affects her livelihood.

She took the trouble to ask it in a well written, articulate, and thoughtful way. I hope she gets some helpful responses - I didn't respond to her, because I had nothing to offer.

You, who have even less to offer, DID respond, with an useless, unmerited attack. Who's the kneejerker?

I know it isn't just me. Run a google search on "Bay Area Dave + asshole" if you don't believe it.

Reply to
Scott Cramer

livelihood? A woodworker who plans on earning a buck and has NO TRUCK? That's convenient; and SMART!

Maybe I'll become an astronaut; oh, I forgot; I get dizzy if I turn around too fast.

Scott, you are a major contributor of foul-mouthed posts, so I don't know what the point is of you trying to deflect that criticism. Everyone that reads the Wreck know who uses trailer-trash language frequently and who almost NEVER resorts to that. You've used *ss and s*it about 26 times... don't bother to count mine, because when those words appear in a post they are 99% of the time in quoted text from the reply that I didn't snip all the nasties from. 'Course you being the brain surgeon that you are would just Google on Bay Area Dave as the author, and conclude quickly that I used those words, instead of the previous poster. Scott, you'll never rise above your lot in life if you don't admit you've got a problem... NOW will you plonk me? If you do, I promise to never talk unkindly behind your back. Is it a deal?

I decided not to count the F word you are also fond of...

dave

Scott Cramer wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Far be it from me to give a real answer to your question unlike another poster, but if you're only buying 10 or 20 bf of lumber, I have frequently bought wood off of ebay. If you pay attention to shipping and pick the right auctions, you can get a pretty good deal. Most of the boards you'll get are under 6' in length due to shipping size/weight considerations. It's also a great place to buy some unique boards used as accents on projects.

Also, many lumber yards have their own "shops" on ebay, so you know you're buying from a place that has quite a variety of woods.

Reply to
Larry Bud

I can't imagine why people havent killfiled this guy, as I did months ago. It has saved a lot of time and aggrevation. What's the use in reacting to him??? Jay

Reply to
Jay Knepper

On 18 Dec 2003, Bay Area Dave spake unto rec.woodworking:

Dave, you are an idiot whose ignorance is exceeded only by his arrogance. What could you possibly know about it?

I think you are probably pretty dizzy just standing still. And anyway, they stopped sending chimps into space in the 1950's.

And you were in the Navy? Unless you spent your entire time in the barrel, I would expect that experience would have made you a little less sensitive to colorful language.

Who's counting? Oh... you.

Uh, Dave, I just suggested that you might search on the phrases "Bay Area Dave + asshole." Not you as the author. "Bay Area Dave" as words in conjunction with the word asshole. I didn't actually try it. I came to the conclusion that you are an asshole long ago; I don't need anyone else to confirm it for me.

Reply to
Scott Cramer

Why did you assume I was in the Navy?

So tell me again why someone who whines about having a business without the necessary equipment deserves your undying devotion? Or was someone blowing smoke when they said the OP makes a living from WWing? I believe YOU were the one who said it affects her LIVELIHOOD. So explain to me in little words how a person who makes money woodworking doesn't have a truck for hauling supplies, equipment, or whatever, comes on here to whine about the lack thereof, complains about a $500 minimum that ONE company she dealt with just instituted, and this causes you to fall all over yourself to make it all better? If those details are inaccurate, than someone has been less than truthful today, and it isn't me, Scotty.

and of COURSE I wouldn't look ME up for *sshole, as YOU were the one who uses the foul language. YOu are so CLUELESS. A serious lack of reading comprehension is making you look like a moron. :) Time to go sit on the bench.

dave

Scott Cramer wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

On 18 Dec 2003, Bay Area Dave spake unto rec.woodworking:

I didn't assume anything. You said it yourself in a previous post, asshole.

Maybe I read some other newsgroups, and know some things you don't.

Maybe she makes dollhouse furniture, and can carry a year's worth of production in her glovebox. Maybe she makes wooden pillboxes, and they'd rattle around and get lost in the bed of a pickup truck. Any number of scenarios would explain why she isn't interested in buying $500 worth of wood, and doesn't need a truck. None of this changes your status as an asshole .

You mean _then_, not _than_, Dave.

Dave, you'd have to look *out* in order to see your asshole. Or you can just pull your head back till you hear a *pop* and look to see where the noise came from.

Reply to
Scott Cramer

Scott you are a baldfaced LIAR!

I have NEVER said that I was in the Navy. NOt here. Not anywhere. WHY on earth do you persist in lying?? YOU need mental help.

I DID see the USS Abraham Lincoln pull into port after duty in the Mid East earlier this year.

You are hopelessy rude, disgusting, and a LIAR.

dave

Scott Cramer wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

On 18 Dec 2003, Bay Area Dave spake unto rec.woodworking:

Hey, I could be wrong. These things happen. I thought you said it sometime back, but then, who could possibly keep track of every last bit of your blather? I apologize to the Navy for intimating they'd have you.

And did you have bananas on your cereal today?

I dunno, some people find me amusing. Although not nearly as many as find you to be an asshole.

Reply to
Scott Cramer

Making an erroneous statement is one thing; we all do that, but when you have been put on notice that I didn't say what you attribute to me, then you are a common LIAR. That's not a mistake. That is intentional, although the ramifications of the lie itself is inconsequential, your habit of lying about me is persistent. You have done this very same thing more than several times during the past year.

Sparring can be fun, but you should at least try to project the image of a man who was brought into this world by parents who had self respect and taught their young the difference between right and wrong. Or did you become a liar through now fault of your parents? Are you mentally ill? There are people who lie about anything and everything. Those people are called pathological liars.

Here's a little something for you to chew on:

Osric University Applied Abnormal Psychology Pathological Lying

What is a pathological liar?

A deliberate liar knows he is lying. A pathological liar may not.

Although there is no precise definition, certainly none defined by the holiest of holies, the DSM-IV, we can state with certainty that it is a person who tells lies incessantly. We can eliminate those who tell lies in order to avoid extreme persecution. But those who consistently tell lies, whether faced with punishment or not, may be considered pathological. We must keep in mind that "pathological" simply means abnormal, or grossly atypical...who among us has not told a lie? At what point does such behavior become "pathological"?

In addition to the difficulty of distinguishing between the liar and the pathological liar, we must also isolate this mental disturbance. Lying is a characteristic of several other disorders as well, such as conduct disorder (CD) and antisocial personality disorder (APD). CD, like many reports of pathological lying, typically has its onset during adolescence. Other behaviors may include inappropriate aggression, destruction, and serious violations of rules and laws. And, as suggested by some doctors, both pathological lying and CD may be caused by, shall we say, challenging situations in the home. Or by a lack of seratonin, in which case Prozac or Zoloft may help. Along with, of course, expensive sessions of psychotherapy.

[NOTE: there were a number of spelling errors in the quoted text, so I wonder about this site, but I'm too lazy to grab another quote for you, Scottie, boy.]

You fit the profile; you lie incessantly. There MAY be hope for you, IF you are willing to admit you have a problem. There are drugs, and psychotherapy. Haven't I mentioned this to you before? IF not, I apologize, as you obviously need some help with your affliction.

I'm serious. You have an emotional problem that can be cured, IF you can admit it.

Amusing? YES, you CAN be amusing, but not in the context of lying about me, or anyone else for that matter.

And I still say that a woodworker who makes a living at it, needs to have the necessary tools and equipment or they are merely a "wanna-be". I'm surely not in the "business". I'm doing my woodworking as a hobby. When I DID run a business, you can bet I had everything necessary. That would be eight years worth, BTW. Then an injury took me away from it...

dave

dave

Scott Cramer wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

On 18 Dec 2003, Bay Area Dave spake unto rec.woodworking:

Dave, Dave, Dave! I made a mistake, and I admit that I made a mistake. I even apologized to the injured party (the Navy).

If you can cite one example of any deliberate lie on my part in any previous post, I'll fess up to being criminally insane, and seek professional help. Or at least I'll take some drugs. I think there's some Ibuprofen in the medicine chest.

This tangent thread started when you tore into Renata without provocation. And then you suggest that I'm the one with issues? You must have cojones the size of grapefruit.

And I still say you are an idiot who doesn't have the beginning of a hint of a clue as to what you're talking about. A whole lot of woodworking gets done without pickup trucks.

Scott Cramer

Renata,

I use

as many do here in the Central NY area. He ships and I believe he's taken lessons from Lee Valley too...;-) Great company to do business with .... knows what a customer is and how to treat them.

They have a fine selection of woods and the best cherry around. All kiln dried to 6%-8% guaranteed and they do the drying themselves. Since I drive to their location I've never looked at his mail order policies to see if there's a minimum. Brian is his name - great person to deal with and I know you'll like the wood. Give him a call

I just checked the site - no minimums. Although he doesn't state it on his site, I've asked him before if he ships and he said yes. So give him a call at (315) 298-6407.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

Reply to
Bill K.

Reply to
RKON

Last things first: Sure a lot of WW gets done without trucks. But who, without one, makes their living at it and asks for opinions on how to obtain supplies? OTOH, if the OP doesn't make their living at it, that's another story.

I'd rather not go over in DETAIL long ago transgressions, so let's skip the "you said/I said" history, if you don't mind.

Let's focus on the future. If you can refrain from calling me names and refrain from attributing to me things from your imagination; and disagree with me on the merits of the argument at hand, as opposed to character attacks, then we can liven up the Wreck with some honest discussion. When it devolves into name calling, I'm not gonna respond like we're best friends. I find name calling is most always resorted to by those who either lack intelligent debating tools or who have lost their cool. Either way it only makes the person with the foul mouth look like a jerk. You can't make a lucid argument when your speech is filled with invectives and profanities. How do you want others to perceive you, and how do you really think they perceive you when you write in that fashion? Do you want respect? I doubt that's the way to go about it. Do you want to be taken seriously? How's it working for you so far?

I, along with everyone else on a public forum, have a right to express my opinion and you have the right to disagree. That's ok. What isn't ok is the constant personal attacks . Good natured ribbing is fine; heck I do that every day here. I like humor in the form of sarcasm, irony, silliness, and facetiousness.

We can't change history, but we sure can change our future behavior, if we choose. Would you be willing to spend your future energies making friends, or enemies? Arguing about woodworking techniques doesn't require that you hate the person with an opposing view.

This is way more effort than I expected out of myself to try to get through to you that we should either "get along" or "move along". The choice is yours, Scott.

dave

Scott Cramer wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave