New wood for steps

What is the ideal wood for new steps ? For stair going to the second floor. Looking for the cherry wood look.

Reply to
Drew Cutter

Ideal in what way? After eliminating the unsuitable woods (due to softness, checking and the like) it's entirely your choice based on price and the amount of effort to get a particular species to look the way you want it.

RicodJour

Do you want pretty? Durability? Price?

Yes, cherry is nice, oak is about half the price.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Cherry, maybe?

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Reply to
Drew Cutter

Where'd you look? Googling on "cherry stair tread" returns a number of useful hits.

Reply to
Andy Hill

Reply to
Drew Cutter

There would be your first problem -- Lowes, Home Despot, etc. aren't good places to look for high-end anything. Try calling around to some real hardwood suppliers.

Reply to
Andy Hill

Reply to
Drew Cutter

There is a whole big world of material out there that Lowes and Home Depot will never see. Talk to your local lumber dealer or hardwood dealer.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Ah, that's a horse of a different color. Would cherry laminate flooring be too low-end for this house? If the treads, risers, etc. are already in place and still solid, that might be the least expensive way to get it pretty.

I'm not a big fan of the oak grain pattern, no matter how it's stained, but that's just a personal taste issue.

Reply to
Andy Hill

Couldn't you just buy the durable stuff and then cover it with pergo. One thing with pergo is that it won't scratch and you have a multidude of stains/colors to choose from.

Matt

Reply to
Matias Silva

Reply to
Drew Cutter

It has to be done right and is not always easy. Mine has been in place for about 7+ years now with no problems. If you have a stair with one end open, it is difficult to install and have that end with the balusters look right.

Stairs with a wall on either side are far less problematic. you just cut the width as needed for a piece for the tread and the nosing, then the riser.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
Drew Cutter

You are looking at fairly major work, a waste in getting a house "ready to sell". What is on steps now? What condition? What flooring is above and below the steps?

May be cheaper, easier and adequate to make the house look good if you just lay down an inexpensive runner.

Reply to
Norminn

Reply to
Drew Cutter

Well, in that case, I'd sorta lean toward cherry.

Reply to
dadiOH

What's covering it up now or do you mean you just can't recognize wood types?

If you're just trying to "fix-up" to sell, probably all that's needed/is economically justified is to reset any loose nails, maybe shim a step or two if there's access underneath, and refinish the existing treads...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I'd go with stainless steel or aluminum before I'd try wood.

Reply to
scott_z500