Where to rent a BIG ladder? (16' or so)

I'd like to change out some light fixtures on a 20' ceiling, but don't want to go to all the trouble of scaffolding for such a simple project. I realize I could rent an electric lift, but I was told they're so heavy that I'd likely do damage to my flooring and doorway.

Somebody recommended I rent a 16' ladder, but I called everywhere I could think of and nobody had one. The only place I could find was in Arlington.

I'm in McKinney and would prefer not to drive so dang far to pick it up and return it. Anyone have any good contacts or bright ideas?

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
MrC1

You are using a world wide media to find an item is your tiny location. How do you expect us to know where Arlington or McKinney is? Don't you have a phone book? Here in the USA we use them to find places like tool rental stores.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Don't they have Yellow Pages in McKinney? If not, maybe you could find them in Arlington. Look under "Tool Rental".

Doug Miller

Every homeowner should have one. How about one of your good neighbors, real estate or insurance agents?

Reply to
Fred

Reply to
Drew Cutter

Is that Arlington England, Arlington Australia or any one of the other maybe scores of Arlingtons in the US. Get a bulb remover on a pole if the pole isnt long enough get a long painters pole and put the head on it, maybe all you will need is a small step ladder with it. Or call Arlington bulb service.

Reply to
m Ransley

I've never had luck with those bulb removers on a pole.

Reply to
Art

Trampoline. Good exercise too.

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

antigrav boots would work pretty well.

bill

Reply to
bill a

Reply to
William Brown

Home Depot rents about 8 different sizes

Reply to
Bob Pietrangelo

OMG!!

LOL!

Sorry about the location, guys. I'm so used to posting on my local sites that I didn't think about it! DOH!

The rest of the advice didn't get me anywhere, however. First of all, I don't remember saying I'm chaning light bulbs. It would be tough to change the light fixtures with a light bulb changer on a stick! :D

The rest of the responses pointed me to renting or borrowing a ladder, which is exactly what I said I was attempting to do, but that nobody has one!

One guys said everyone should have one??? A 16 FOOT LADDER? Are you serious. What-EVER. LOL

Reply to
MrC1

You haven't tried the Yellow Pages yet, have you?

Yellow Pages... This isn't rocket science.

Yes, he's serious. And he's right.

Sixteen feet isn't very much of a ladder, actually. I have two extension ladders, one 16 feet, the other 28. Both get used often enough to justify owning them as opposed to renting.

The best local "site" is called the Yellow Pages. If you can't pick up a Yellow Pages and find a place that rents ladders, you're not trying very hard.

They also aren't *that* expensive to buy. Any hardware store or home center will have them. Look in the Yellow Pages under "Hardware".

Doug Miller

The Big Ladder rental store.

Reply to
FlavorFlav

that I didn't think about it! DOH!

And yet you still don't reveal your home state.

If you have 20' ceilings, a 16' ladder will do you no good. A 16' ladder extended all the way is more like 13'.

you serious. What-EVER. LOL

What's so outrageous about owning a tall ladder? Lots of homeowners do, and I'm guessing you wish you did.

Reply to
Hopkins

Do you live in Texas? Please tell me you don't live in Texas, because Dallas is pretty much between Arlington and McKinney.

Reply to
Hopkins

...using a 16' ladder working on a 20' ceiling, sounds like a Chris Farley comedy routine coming up

Reply to
terafferty

If you have 20' ceilings, a 16' ladder will do you no good. A 16' ladder extended all the way is more like 13'.

you serious. What-EVER. LOL

What's so outrageous about owning a tall ladder? Lots of homeowners do,

and I'm guessing you wish you did.

I think yhat he is looking for a step ladder. It is hard to lean an extension ladder against a ceiling, unless the light fixture is next to a wall. But he never actually said he wanted a step ladder, so that is just my guess. They do make a sprinkler fitters ladder that is a step ladder with a straight up section in the middle. But they are quite expensive.

Stretch

Reply to
stretch